Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMA connector power handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljguess

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I've had a trawl around the forum for more details on this, but can't seem to find anything...

My question is, what is the power handling capabililty of an SMA PCB probe connector, like the type used to feed a microstrip patch antenna on RT5880 substrate?

There is not much info on many of the datasheets to help.

Does 20W seem to be excessive, considering it is quite a small connector?

Regards,
Mik

As far as I'm aware of, connector manufacturers rarely specify power ratings. A maximum working voltage, depending on the atmospheric pressure is the only power related specification that you get for RF connectors.

In most cases, the maximum power will be limited by the cable specification. Additionally, you have to consider the limitation set by the dielectric losses of the PCB. 20 W should be possible over the full SMA frequency range with suitable RF substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back