Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SLA battery charge indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjpompeo

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to build a 6V@4A sealed lead acid battery charge indicator using LM3914 with 10 LEDs?

Regards,

Fernando

yes it possible but it would only be a rough giude

if you search on google you should find what your after, I would do it with a PIC16F876 with 10 LEDS but it can easily be done wiht lm3914

there is no 100% way of telling how much charge there is left in a battery.

letas say if your battery was 4AH and your load was 200ma then it would take 20hrs to discharge it but if you was to say that you discharged it at

battery cap discharge current time
4 / 200ma 20hrs True ? yes

but's let say if the continuous dischaege was 500ma you wouyld then say that it should last 8 Hours TRUE or FALSE

answer is FALSE because you have got something called the Peukert's effect and my calculations would say that the battery would only last 6hhrs 2hrs shorter

T=C(C/R)N-1/IN works like this c =capacity R is rating 20/5hrs n is the exponent and I is dishcharge current like this below

4*(4/20)^(1.3-1)/0.2^1.3 = 20hrs

but say if the discharge rate was higher then it would look like this

4*(4/20)^(1.3-1)/0.5^1.3 = 6.07hrs and not the expected 8hrs if you worked it 4 devided by .5 = 8hrs

Hope I've not bored you to much but hopefully it wil give you a rough guide when chosing a battery :))

wizpic

fjpompeo said:
Is it possible to build a 6V(at)4A sealed lead acid battery charge indicator using LM3914 with 10 LEDs?

Regards,

Fernando
These circuits
(**broken link removed**
and **broken link removed**)
are for 12V battery, but you can easily modify it for 6V battery.

nguyennam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back