Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SiP and SoC - exlanation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvaRes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sip, system in package,soc

Hi members,

In literature I found the term SiP and SoC. Do they refers to the same thing ? If not, what is difference between them ?

Thanks in advance.

sip and soc

Hi AdvaRes,

No they are not same. SIP (system in package) can hire different chips/dies from different process in one package. This can be quite good for example where you have to get CMOS based parts and HF components in one package (wireless apps). The latter is quite difficult to do in CMOS process. SoC (system on chip) is advantageous in terms of using different components from same process. A good case some logic and memory in one chip in cellular applications.

It is a long discussion, especially for RF applications. One is better for some applications, one is for others. A good discussion is under

**broken link removed**

Some further sources (but these are driven from marketing point of view. I would carefully consider/double check the arguments of suppliers there.

Sources:
SIP
**broken link removed**
SIP vs SOC Discussion between NXP and TI
https://www.design-reuse.com/news/9934/the-great-debate-soc-vs-sip.html

AdvaRes

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sip and soc difference

AdvaRes said:
... SiP and SoC. Do they refers to the same thing ?
Nearly. SiP or Silicon IP refers to the business model of a fabless company, from which you can buy soft or hard macros of IP building blocks (s. Wiki's explanation). With SoC you rather think of the finished product itself, i.e. the whole System on Chip.
Cheers, erikl

AdvaRes

sip soc pdf

**broken link removed**

good article on comparision.....

:)

AdvaRes

Re: SiP and SoC

Thank you all for your replies.
I'd like to say that the SiP that I asked for are System in Package:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_in_package

At the end SiP is a SoC and vice verca. Isn't it ?

If I have well understood, a SiP is a circuit constructed with differents dices to perform a complex function and is packaged in the same chip. While a SoC is designed to performs a complex funtion but is implemented on one single dice.

We use SiP for chips integrating different kind of technologies like RF, SOI, etc making the coexistance of these differents technology on the same chip possible.
While SoC are used when the whole circuit can implemented with the same technology.

Is that correct ?

AdvaRes said:
At the end SiP is a SoC and vice verca. Isn't it ? ... a SiP is a circuit constructed with differents dices ... Is that correct ?
Yes, I think so. I just mixed up SiP with Si IP :-(

PS: Pluriel pour die est dice, pas dices ;-)

AdvaRes

Hi AdvaRes,

Yes exactly like you explained...

AdvaRes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor