Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

single-port or dual-port DRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eexuke

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
single port dual port area

Hi all,
Now I am considering whether to use a single-port or dual-port DRAM in my design. The system performance with a dual-port DRAM will of course be better. However, how about the cost, area and layout complexity for a dual-port compared with single-port under the same memory size?

Many thanks in advance!!

why don't try two-port register-file.
you can simultanious read/write and cosume lesser area and power than sram.

Since the DRAM will be used external, so register file is not practical.

sorry, I confused.
However, I think we need carefull calculate needed bandwidth to select external DRAM, by my experience, only graphic chip used the dual-port DRAM.
and the dual-port DRAN is not populer.
selece higher speed DRAM to meet bandwidth requiment will be more proper than dual-port DRAM.
However, I think except addign pads and a SRAM that cache data from DRAM,
it should have no other affect on chip design.

Hi haosg,
Thank you for your information.Currently we are designing a VLIW chip for video processing. As a single-port DRAM,I am afraid its capability;as a dual-port DRAM, I am afraid its area and cost. Also, we are not going to use sub-bank organization which will increase the complexity of software compiler.
So we are still in evaluation period about the memory type and size.

actually when ur designing a VLIW - ASSP like the one you mentioned, a video processor the complexity is on the complier maintaining hardware simplicity, you can as well use dual port RAM, to a certain extent you have to compramize on the cost and area as you can get the maximum performance out of these modules.

what sort of applications does ur VLIW perform i.e i ment applications based on video processin includes many and dependin on the amount of b/w which is needed for each of the application u can select either of the two and more over as you said register banks can never be used.

with regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back