Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single pole system time delay calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

santosh_475

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
when I'm studying the first-order system, a question arose about how the rise time of input pulse affects the delay of the circuit? is there any mathematical model for it?

Hi,

define "delay".

in a first order system the output waveform differs to the input waveform. (usually in every filter system).
Thus you can´t expect the waveform to be shifted ... by a fixed delay time t_d.

Knowing this you maybe try "until the output voltage meets the input voltage".
This - in a pure step response - never happens. So the delay is considered "infinite" in this case.

You see: the answer is not a simple one.

Klaus

Hi KalusST
Thanks for your response, I got that point to reach 100% of its final value its needs an infinite amount of time actually my point here is how a rise time will affect the t_dealy.
my observation by simple RC ckt simulation in cadence was actually 50%rise time of input also part of that delay, i want some more support or knowledge to justify my answer.
thanks

Convolution of step with finite rise time (t<0,v=0;t>0 & t<t0, v=at; t>t0, v=vamp) and single pole transfer function gives your expression.
Use Laplace transform.

Status
Not open for further replies.