Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single-ended to Differential

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaxyz

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
single-ended differential cable line in

Hi,

I want to transmit a single-ended analog signal over a distance, so I need a circuit to convert it to a differential signal.
I searched the web but it seems the common way is using “Fully differential amplifier”s. Since I can’t obtain this component, I need another way to do conversion. Can you suggest any circuit?

Thank in advance
Reza

single-ended-to-differential driver

transformer inductor!

Hello,
Thereis an easy way to do that.
You can you a differential amplifier. You put one of the input on it DC-Bias and on the other your signal. You will collect the output (differential) as usual in a diff amp.
I hope it helped you.

Bye
Nicolas

Solution depends on signal frequency and level, required SNR.

It's a near DC signal which comes from a sensor, so I think transformer is not a possible solution.

Thank you Nicolas, but I don’t understand your mean, can you give me any schematic?

I think the idea is to connect single ended signal to a differential line without a differential driver and use a differential receiver only. For low frequencies, this solution has similar common mode rejection as fully differential one.

You can also use an inverting amplifier (OP) to drive the inverted signal terminal.

rezaxyz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Connecting a single ended signal to a differential line without any transmiter is a waste of time, because you don't have any noise rejection.
A differential signal is usefull on long wire transmission just because the common mode noise is canceled. And this theory is applied to low frequency signals too because the noise component has a very large spectrum.
You may easily made a single to differential transmitter using two common operational amplifiers. The first one is repeater, the second is inverter, the output of those two is differential.

Connecting a single ended signal to a differential line without any transmiter is a waste of time, because you don't have any noise rejection.
I guess, you never experienced common mode interferences with low frequency signals in practice. A typical example is an audio signal. With single ended source and wiring, you get huge amounts of common mode interferences, chiefly from mains voltage. Single ended source with differential cable and receiver is nearly as good as true differential solution in this application.

rezaxyz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back