Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single chip digitally programmable current source: 0-2mA

Status
Not open for further replies.

orient

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there,

I am designing a PCB for testing an ASIC taped out a few months back. I wonder if anyone knows a single component that can output a digitally current from 0 to 2mA, a DAC basically.

Of course, it is always possible to add an opamp to a voltage DAC to make it work as a current source, but perhaps someone knows a single component that does that. If so, please...

The resolution is not so important, it will be used to set some bias current for the ASIC.

Thank you.

Yes, this DAC seems very promising indeed. Thanks very much.

However, I couldn't figure out a way to use it as a current source without a companion Opamp. If you have used it before in this mode, would you mind elaborating a bit more, please?

Cheers.

Many years ago we used a multiplying DAC to add a programmable current to a summing node.
Figure 43 show how it works. It may be a problem that you need a virtual ground (or at least a constant voltage) for the current to flow into.
I also didn't realise that the values of the resistors could be between 7k and 11k. Only the ratio between the R and 2R is accurate.

Maybe a digital potentiometer is a better choice.

What impedance do you want to inject 0-2mA into? Is the voltage at the input pin constant?

Reactions: orient

orient

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Indeed, I think a virtual ground is necessary, thus requiring an opamp. The current will be injected into diode-connected NMOS transistor inside the ASIC, which is then used as a reference for mirroring the current for other devices. Another issue is that I need to source a current into the NMOS transistor (not sink current from it).

Anyway, thanks for the help. I am kind of settling to solution based on a simple DAC + an opamp + a reference resistor + a discrete PMOS transistor. I wished I could find a single component solution. I am sure such a component would sell quite a lot... so convenient!

A diode is of course not a perfect virtual ground but a fair (?) approximation.
If you just need to vary the current into the pin between approximately 0 and 2 mA I think the DAC or even a digital potentiometer would do.
If, on the other hand, you need to know with any precision how much current you source it's not a solution.

I agree, but about 5% of accuracy is good enough for me... This is only to set a bias point for my on-chip circuitry. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back