Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sine wave generator circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA3040

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I want show to school student about Rectification and AC to DC covert / DC Smooth circuit using Capacitor

For this I need to use a transformer which is high voltage

Therefore I have decided to make a Sine wave generator using simple circuit , Then I can ignore the Transformer

Please advice the tested Sine wave generator that I can Use for rectification
It also better if we can change the frequency fro 0 to 60

Thanks in advanced

How a bout a common garden mains transformer that steps down to 12Vac and then put a 10 ( 20W ) ohm resistor on it to limit the current to 1.2A rms - a lot easier I think - and safe.

Frequency controller is the issue

Hi,

Any ready to buy sinewave generator,
Or a PC or cellular phone with audio output (plus APP to generate the desired frequencies)

and a DC coupled audio amp.

Klaus

as above, sig gen and audio amp .... 50W ( internally protected ) ....

Simple square-wave oscillator made from inverter-gates. Add a third inverter to create bipolar AC at the load.
A large capacitor smooths the waveform so it is sine-like.

To vary frequency put a 1M potentiometer for the 300k resistor.

If you make the diode bridge from led's then it increases the visual impact as they flash alternately. Careful not to overload the led's.

oscill invert-gates AC sqr wave 1mF makes sine-like 100 ohm load.png

Hi,

Any ready to buy sine wave generator,
Or a PC or cellular phone with audio output (plus APP to generate the desired frequencies)

and a DC coupled audio amp.

Klaus
Yes...This is the modern solution . I am really appreciate

You mean Installed the Frequency Generator app to Smart phone , Then we can send the waves to as a sine waves by amplifying using single transistor and then we can use it for AC to DC converter

Grate thanks

Hi,

I don´t know your requirements regarding voltage, current, precision and so on.
Thus I don´t know whether a single transistor would work..

But it should work as simple tool to "show" how an AC to DC rectifier works.

Klaus

For low voltage circuits, so that you could show the principle you are looking for with even just a battery as the power supply, and where a beautifully perfect sine wave is not a strict requirement, a 'Wein Bridge Oscillator' or a 'Low Frequency Sine Wave Generator with Quadrature Output' (one signal is a horrible 'sine wave', the other quite good) could work. See AN-31, Op Amp Circuit Collection, section 2 'Signal Generation' for such circuits. This could be rectified with a precision full-wave rectifier circuit or just a diode bridge. Op amp sine wave generator and rectifier circuit could be a way of showing the uses of op amps and AC-DC rectification.

What about a tiny transformer with very low output current capabilities. I have a dual output 220VAC to 12VAC transformer that can only output ~70mA - it is about 5x5x5cm. That would be good for adding a diode bridge and showing ripple vs capacitance, bad for having to make the thing and add fuses, even if it is a small circuit.

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
For low voltage circuits, so that you could show the principle you are looking for with even just a battery as the power supply, and where a beautifully perfect sine wave is not a strict requirement, a 'Wein Bridge Oscillator' or a 'Low Frequency Sine Wave Generator with Quadrature Output' (one signal is a horrible 'sine wave', the other quite good) could work. See AN-31, Op Amp Circuit Collection, section 2 'Signal Generation' for such circuits. This could be rectified with a precision full-wave rectifier circuit or just a diode bridge. Op amp sine wave generator and rectifier circuit could be a way of showing the uses of op amps and AC-DC rectification.

What about a tiny transformer with very low output current capabilities. I have a dual output 220VAC to 12VAC transformer that can only output ~70mA - it is about 5x5x5cm. That would be good for adding a diode bridge and showing ripple vs capacitance, bad for having to make the thing and add fuses, even if it is a small circuit.

Thanks

I also think Tiny Transformer is very reliable and user friendly and less complicate . How ever it is grate if we can go to more handy method, That using Mobile phone Frequency generator by the app, . I made a single transistor amplifier in the breadboard for testing , I connected a LED to output and connected Mobile phone jack to input but it wasn't success

Hi,
I connected a LED to output and connected Mobile phone jack to input but it wasn't success
Please focus on technical descriptions, show the schematic and give a detailed error description.

Klaus

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.