Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sin generator by n555

Status
Not open for further replies.

tro.ol

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sin generator

Hi,

I must do sin wave by IC n555 (not Vco, not Wien, only 555).
Frequance range: 100Hz-10kHz
Out Voltage: 0-5V

Have you any idea?
Please you to help me.

555 sine generator

Here a easy 555 tutorial.
**broken link removed**

555 generator

I forget schematics

sinus generator

I must do sin wave by IC n555
Doesn't work basically. The suggested circuit (as any other possible 555 circuit) supplies a squarewave. Depending on the specification of allowed harmonics respectively sine distortion, you can use a filter (low-pass or band-pass) to convert it into a sine. Unfortunately, the filter has to be tuned when you intend to vary the sine frequency.

sine shaper

It should be possible to do this without using a tracking band pass filter, but rather a wideband shaping circuit. For this the 555 should be modified to produce 50% duty cycle output (can be done by adding 1 extra resistor in discharge pin) to keep the shaped sine wave distortion low. Next the charge/discharge ramps on the timing cap should be made linear (also to minimize dist) by implementing current sources. This triangle wave can then be applied to a sine wave shaper through a buffer. This shaper can operate from Hz to few 100KHz. The result will be a sine wave output with about 1-2% THD over the applied frequency range.

You will have to control the current source/s to alter the frequency.
If you are allowed extra opamps you could integrate the square output of the 555

Here is one way of making such a shaper with diodes
https://www.falstad.com/circuit/e-sinediode.html

555 sine

If you design a function generator with a sine shaper, I don't see a particular purpose of a 555. The suggested integrator also needs to be gain tuned over the frequency, and it doesn't provide a defined zero bias without additional circuitry. It would be easier to build an OP triangle generator directly.

Generally, using a XR2206 is a convenient way to design a sine function generator, not really an answer to the original question however.

n555 circuit

From his post I took it that he must use a 555, which appeared to be a home work problem or project. There are obvious much easier ways to accomplish the task if the 555 is not a requirement.

sinus generator circuit

I doubt, if this can be seriously a homework or a project. Basically, because the effort for the supporting circuit would be a multiple of the 555 generator itself. And I don't think, that any feasible solution actually fits the specification "only 555".

It can be a meaningful project to generate a sinewave synchronized to a reference input, typically involving a PLL or another selftuned circuit. But the specification would be obviously very different from what's said in this thread.

s.i.n generator

Still an interesting topic

Here I attach a circuit solution of my original idea (without the current sources)
When the frequency gets higher the non-linear slopes are less of a problem, and the resulting sinewave distortion is not that obvious.

Short description:
U1A buffer for triangle over C timing
U1B amplification + offset adj (sine shaper needs about 4vpp)
R8 adjusts for minimal distortion.

I think that the 50% duty cycle with varying the frequency can be maintained by having mechanical ganged pots for R1 and R2. Duty cycle for this is about 51%. This can be trimmed by an extra resistor in the discharge path.

Traces are shown in order 1,2,3

555 sinus generator

May I propose to the community another simple and good working circuitry for a sine shaper ?

If you have a triangle wave with a fixed amplitude of 80 mV you can use it as an input for a classical long tailed pair (differential amp) - and as a result you get a sinusoidal form of approx. 1.2% THD.
Of course this shaper is not frequency selective, it only uses the soft clipping feature of the tanh function.

555 sinus

LvW said:
May I propose to the community another simple and good working circuitry for a sine shaper ?

If you have a triangle wave with a fixed amplitude of 80 mV you can use it as an input for a classical long tailed pair (differential amp) - and as a result you get a sinusoidal form of approx. 1.2% THD.
Of course this shaper is not frequency selective, it only uses the soft clipping feature of the tanh function.

I remember a paper by National explaining this method. I will post a link if I can find it again.

soft clip tanh

Yes, can basically work this way. Instead of a the required ganged R1/R2 pot, you can use a much more simple 555 circuit with a single RC combination connected to Output instead of Disch.

home made 555sinusoidal function generator

AN-263 from National semi explains this method

triangle sinus diode circuit

AN-263 apparently isn't available any more at national.com, the same with 1974 AN-115, see the first page appended below.

square to sine shaper

Here I have used a floating current source idea from a old (1973) Siliconix application note to linearize the ramps. Now the frequency is adjustable with only one pot (200k) over a wide range. Resulting sine wave distortion is less than 2% as shown by dist meter.

I am sure fine tuning can give lower distortion. For higher frequencies a faster opamp should be used.

555 sine circuit

you can find the national's application note at this addres
**broken link removed**
regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.