Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation of the HMC220 in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sxfouane

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am a student and I want to do the HMC220 Mixer S parameters simulation. However, when I downloaded the s parameters files from the website, I got several S1P file.
I don't know how to combine all this file into a s3p or to import them in ADS. Can someone help me please ?

Thank you.

1600079637768.png

S1P Parameters have been give for different LO Driving Conditions for Different Ports RF or IF.
So, there is no way to combine these parameters.You will decide the driving level and use S1P parameters for the port which you're interested in.
But you cannot simulate the Mixer with those S1P parameters because Mixers are nonlinear devices and s-parameters don't provide nonlinearity.
They help to match the Ports only @ different driving levels.
You should ask Analog Devices for a nonlinear model or you can also try on a board.

S-parameters are frequency domain measurements. The circuit is excited, one frequency at a time, to evaluate the performance and the this is repeated at different frequencies as required. All ports are excited with the same frequency.

This is not the case for a mixer. The RF, LO and IF ports are all running at different frequencies so measurements like S21 are not defined for mixers. To simulate a mixer you really need a different style model, and not s-parameters, and you need to use harmonic balance or transient simulation to analyze the circuit.

The manufacturer has supplied three 1 port s-parameter data files so that this could be used for matching purposes. There is no way to combine these three 1-port measurements to get 3-port data which would require nine measurements per data point even ignoring the frequency conversion.

This mixer is obsolete but I'm saying that for a reference.
Recent X-Parameters are recognized by ADS and some suppliers may provide such design parameters to qualified customers
But I don't think that the students can reach to those critical nonlinear X-Parameters.But it's worth to try..

Thank you for your answers.

@RealAEL, I was asked to do an S-Parameters simulation, just to practise. Then, I will do the HB & the transient simulation also. Thank you again for taking the time to answer and providing me with advices.

@BigBoss, thank you for your answer as well !

@RealAEL, I was asked to do an S-Parameters simulation, just to practise. Then, I will do the HB & the transient simulation also. Thank you again for taking the time to answer and providing me with advices.
Since you don't have nonlinear parameters of the circuit, HB or transient simulation will NOT work..
It doesn't make sense..

Yes for sure, as you said I can ask for a non-linear model or try it on board, no ?
So this is what I will try to do.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes for sure, as you said I can ask for a non-linear model or try it on board, no ?
So this is what I will try to do.Thank you!
The nonlinear models of such circuits are generally not available.Or they don't provide to anybody except critical customers..
The best option is to try the circuit on a appropriate board.But you can use s-parameters to realize matching circuits for each port after you decide which LO drive level will be used.Therefore s-parameters are available.

Sxfouane

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back