Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simulating tunnel diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

billano786

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lambda diode

I wish to simulate a non linear circuit having a tunnel diode. can any one suggest a simulation tool for it?

(I read that APLAC provides Josephson Junction but no ideas about tunnel diode.)

lambda diode oscillator

I realize that the following suggestion may not be the easiest, but if you have the I-V, C-V characteristics you can create a user-defined model. If you need to extract the I-V, C-V characteristics; you could use a semiconductor simulator (if you know the structure/doping profiles) and extract, or you could measure the device.

MoonShine

lamda diode

Please look at intusoft web site
In newsletter issue#51 Nov 1997
you can find an article 'RF/Microwave analysis' presenting tunel dione modeling.
Anna

tunnel diode oscillator

Thanx for this valuable piece of info. Tunnel diodes are simulated with cubic polynomials ICAP and APLAC can do it.

how to make a tunnel diode

Hi all,

I would like to add the followings to the simulation of tunnel diode:
If you take a closer look at the netlist of subcircuit "tunneldiode" in Intusoft's #51 newsletter, you can find an N and a P channel junction FET and a diode that make up the so received tunnel diode. The DC current/voltage characteristics are pritty good as it is included.
The two-terminal device received with this subcircuit is also called a lambda diode, not a well known or manufactured any more device, with much the same DC characteristics. And it can be built indeed from an N and a P channel FET, the D diode is not really needed.
The reason I mention these is that there are simulators which include better models for FETs than usual SPICE-based simulators do. And with using better models that make up the so received "tunnel diode", you can get better simulaton results at even higher frequencies than the newsletter suggests.

Of course, if ICAP or APLAC uses pure mathematical polinoms for modelling the tunnel diode's characteristics (i.e. there are no FET models involved at all), then it will probably do the job nicely at higher frequencies as well (I didn't try it).
However I did simulate a lambda diode oscillator in Serenade a few years ago and I successfully used the good built-in models of P and N channel FETs for getting a two-terminal negative resistance device, called either a lambda or a tunnel diode. For those interested, the connection of the FETs' legs are as follows:
1)the NFET's drain connects to PFET's gate and this will be the anode of the lambda or tunnel diode and this receives the positive bias voltage
2)the NFET's gate connects to the PFET's drain and this will be the cathode of the lambda or tunnel diode and this receives the negative bias voltage (usually at ground)
3)the NFET's source connects to the PFET's source and it is left floating.
Of course the DC current/voltage characteristics received depends on that of the pinch-off voltages/zero gate voltage drain currents of the individual P and N channel FETs.

Regards, unkarc

part numbering explanation for tunnel diode

can you post the circuit diagram of lamba diode based oscillator you built along with the part numbers of fet's you used.

how to build a tunnel diode

Hi Billano786,

I uploaded lambdaoscill1.zip into FM2 root and a friend uploaded it to FM1 under unkarc directory. This is a project in Serenade with all the needed file to run, I revised it from my collection. The P channel FET model is not named because Serenade does not have a manufactured P channel nonlinear FET in its library, only N channel ones. I created its model as to be a 2N3820 P channel FET as close as possible.

Regards, unkarc

tunnel diode characteristics

You can write in pSpice your own funktions to simulate it. See the manual!

aplac tunel diode

u can use PSPICE to simulate it

Status
Not open for further replies.