Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simplified BJT model question (sedra smith)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpops

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

Another question regarding a problem in Microelectronic circuits 5th ed by Sedra Smith (exercise 1.20)

Please see the attached image. Everything except the green arrow and label is in the original figure
simplified bjt model.png

Problem:
Find the input resistance between terminals B and G in the circuit shown in the attached image. The voltage vx is a test voltage with the input resistance Rin defined as Rin = vx / ix

My approach
ix = ib

the currents sum in the point above E in the figure is
ix + βix - ie = 0

EQ 1: ix = ie / (1 + β)

ie = ve / Re

ve = vx * (Re / (Re + rπ))

ie = vx / (Re + rπ)

inserted into EQ 1

ix = (vx / (Re + rπ)) / (1 + β) = vx / ((Re + rπ)*(1 + β))

And finally

Rin = vx/ix = (Re + rπ)*(1 + β)

However

Answer by the book is Rin = rπ + (β + 1)Re

So I have one "βrπ" to much.. what's wrong with my calculations??

The equation Ve=... is not correct. This equation assumes that Ve is determined by Vx only - and you forgot the current source.

The equation Ve=... is not correct. This equation assumes that Ve is determined by Vx only - and you forgot the current source.

Ahh okay, but how do I incorporate that into the Ve-equation? I've been looking around at different methods (DC network analysis methods) but I can't get anyone to work. Could you point me in the right direction?

The circuit diagram in post#1 is a LINEAR small-signal circuit. Therefore, you can apply the superposition method.
It`s one of the fundamental laws which is used to calculate the voltage-current distribution in a circuit with more than one sources.

The circuit diagram in post#1 is a LINEAR small-signal circuit. Therefore, you can apply the superposition method.
It`s one of the fundamental laws which is used to calculate the voltage-current distribution in a circuit with more than one sources.

Thanks! I tried a some of the other methods without success but the superposition worked! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.