Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Transistor base bias question

Status
Not open for further replies.

billion_boi

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello, ive just started learning about transistors
and i'm having a conceptual problem with a very simple circuit, the base bias.

Based on the circuit drawing ive attached..My textbook says that I(b)=V(RB)/R(b)
but what confuses me is that i thought that we would have to apply the current divider
rule to find I(b)...i thought when calculating for current ohms law only aplies for series branches..

Can some clarify why i am mistaken?

I am not really sure where you are getting stuck, but ohm law is V=IR so I=V/R

If you know V and know R you can always calculate I. It doesn't matter how the resistor network is set up if, whether the resistors are in series or parallel or whatever, if you know the voltage across a resistor and the resistor value calculating I is as easy as can be.

In your case VRB = VCC - VBE hence I=(VCC - VBE)/RB

wow...i dont what i was thinking...for some stupid reason i didnt think ohms law aplied to parallel braches...i must not have been geting enough sleep
haff99 thanks alot for the reply..i apreciate it, u saves me from wasitng alot of time...

Status
Not open for further replies.