Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple question bts432e2 instillation

Status
Not open for further replies.

emersonrainey

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Bottom line up top. The back is metal and it seemed to be stuck with adhesive before. Do I use a conductive adhesive or not.

Hello everyone first off I am not an electronics guy, I am a mechanic, I restore older vehicles mostly, I have no knowledge but wanted to ask knowledgeable people.

I have a bts432e2 chip to install to an instrument cluster for a car. I have never done this, but I have the ability, I was able to press Mercedes for weeks to find out this was a failure point on this model, and in order to fix the part rather than buy a new defective one anyway I am attempting to fix it.

Again sorry for a very beginner question but I have never done this before, and yes I will solder the pins.

Attachments

• e320 insturment cluster.jpg
    e320 insturment cluster.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 146

bts432e2 install, first time sorry for simple question

Hello, what is the proper adhesive used at the top of this? Electrical adhesive or regular? The back of the bts432e2 is metal on parts. It is a Mercedes instrument cluster if that helps, sorry for the simple question, but I am a mechanic and possesses the skills to fix this but have never installed one before, and yes, I will solder the pins at the bottom of it.

e320 insturment cluster.jpg

Hello emersonrainey,

Do I use a conductive adhesive or not.

You can use solder paste on the big pad to help with adhesion when soldering it.
It's not essential. It really depends on how well you can solder.
Regards,
Relayer

It is NOT, and should not be held down with adhesive of any kind. The part is fixed by soldering only. The thin metal tab must be soldered down to the strip on the PCB, not only for electrical connection, it also serves to dump excess heat from the device to the copper layer on the board.

Use a large soldering iron to do this, first level off or remove the solder on the horizontal strip so the new device can lie down flat, then solder the pins to the board to hold it in place, finally solder along the tab to the horizontal strip. By design the tab and board are there to move heat away, hence needing a big soldering iron but try to do it as quickly as possible to avoid damaging the new part.

Brian.

It is NOT, and should not be held down with adhesive of any kind. The part is fixed by soldering only. The thin metal tab must be soldered down to the strip on the PCB, not only for electrical connection, it also serves to dump excess heat from the device to the copper layer on the board.

Use a large soldering iron to do this, first level off or remove the solder on the horizontal strip so the new device can lie down flat, then solder the pins to the board to hold it in place, finally solder along the tab to the horizontal strip. By design the tab and board are there to move heat away, hence needing a big soldering iron but try to do it as quickly as possible to avoid damaging the new part.

Brian.

Thank you, I will do that, and I now know the purpose of the heat dump!

Status
Not open for further replies.