Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple question about electronic device

Status
Not open for further replies.

irfanhab

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I require such a device which connects two wires, but does not short them.
When the device is 'enabled' by another input (say +5V), then it connects the two wires an they are shorted.

So in a sense does a device exist which allows me to connect and disconnect two wires depending on an external input

Depends on the voltage, current and whether unit or bidirectional.

1. For simple low volatage, low current, use CMOS switch, CD4066

2. For high current, you can use a mosfet

3. For High voltage AC, you can use a triac or SSR. They can be used from milliamps to hundreds of amps.

4. Or you could always use an electromechanical relay.

It all depends on the frequenct of your 5V control voltage... If it is a once ever few seconds....and switching speed does not matter - Use a relay.

If the contol voltage is of high frequency, Use ICs mentioned by techie or you may also use an optocoupler (MCT2E etc.) if the risetime and fall time are not important and the isolation voltage is too large.

SCR may also be used...(don't know much about them)

hi
you can use analog switch if you are dealing with signal current .as for using mosfets take care it must not have a diode between drain and source if your signal is bipolar.
regds

i think u can use the transistor as switch u must choose one that is suitable for ur circuit i mean sitable for current rating,voltage and frequency

visit toms harware site store where u get the information regardiding this problem

a mosfet can realize your intent.

D and S are connect between two wires.

G act as a control input.

best regards

irfanhab said:
Hi,

When the device is 'enabled' by another input (say +5V), then it connects the two wires an they are shorted.

So in a sense does a device exist which allows me to connect and disconnect two wires depending on an external input

I think u can use the transistor as switch to achive what u want and i prefer the mosfet

Use an optoMOS (like ASSR-4110 or ASSR-1510 dependong on voltage current ratings). It is a solid state relay activated by an LED (for 5V). I would say it is very reliable and convenient than using a MOSFET alone or EMR.

Cheers

Use a MOSFET.The two wires can be connected to source and drain.The connection can be actuated by gate voltage.

I htink any discrerte Mosfet will work u can also check out relays available in market

I think a transmission gate will do that work.
The transmission gate can transfer analog or digital signal from input to output when its control input is enabled. And if the control input is disabled, its input and output are disconnected.

Ryan

a relay or a nmosfet can realize your intent.

what you mean actually a bus switch.

best regards

irfanhab said:
Hi,

a simple relay can be used for the same purpose. you have to choose it depending on your current supply.

I think simple a relay can be used for your problem....

Electromechanical relays are suitable if the frequency or the switching speed is not significant, otherwise use MOSFETs as switch (the circuit design may depend upon the current used in your problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.