Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple NPN transistor issue. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwilson

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new on here, searched google for an electronic design forum and found this one. I will probably ask a few questions here and there, but mainly will read and learn. I will try to give my advice where it is needed.

I have a simple NPN transistor that I am using as a switch. The original design had a BC857C which drove a 50mA load. The load has now changed to 250mA, therefore I changed the transistor to something more powerful. I chose a MMBT3702. The original design worked fine. The load is another circuit, I cannot see the internals of this load, therefor I take it as a black box for now. The load is a driver for a laser diode module.

On to my problem...

I have the transistor connected as follows:

Base - connected to microcontroller output pin through a 1K resistor. Also have a 100K pullup to 5V

Emitter - connected to 5V

Collector - connected to my load

With no load connected I get 5V on the collector when the transistor is fully saturated. I measure practically 0V for Vce with the transistor saturated and I measure 0.7V for Vbe.

With the load connected I still have 0.7V for Vbe, but I have a voltage for Vce. I now have a 2.3V drop across the collector-emitter of this transistor.

Can someone shed some light for me? I am not the best at analog design. Hope someone on here can help me out. Like I said the original design worked with the smaller load and the BC857C.

Thanks

-John

A transistor works with currents, not voltages. You did not say what is your load current.

With a series base resistor of 1k then the base current from the microcontroller is about 4mA so the load current should not be more than only 40mA.

Using a small PMOSFET, e.g. Si2301/TSM2301 with about 0.1 ohm Rdson would give effectively no voltage drop respectively higher current handling.

jwilson

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If you want to saturate the device (|Vce| < 0.5V) then you
probably need to be at a forced beta of 10 or less. At 250mA
that means you want 25mA or mor out of the uC and through
the limiting resistor. That's not going to play well, I bet. Either
go with a logic level PMOS or go Darlington (if you need the
same logical sense as now) or a NPN first stage and use the
NPN collector current to light the base of the PNP with maybe
a 100 ohm series resistor there to establish ~35mA base
current.

jwilson

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A PIC micro-controller has a max allowed output current of 25mA. when it has a resistor in series with a transistor's base then 150ohms is 27mA.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to try a P-channel MOSFET and see if that will help things.

I am stuck to using a single sot23 package component.

Yeah I seen that after I posted. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.