Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple LCD Verilog codes for display characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrkhadim

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I'm a newbie.
Can anybody help me with a sample verilog-code to display a character on LCD.
I'm unable to manage the initializing delays.

lcd verilog code

rameshchand said:
http://www.fpga4fun.com/TextLCDmodule.html

Thanks for your response.

But that design needs a serial interface to pc which i don't have.
I want to initialize and display a character on the LCD from within the FPGA.

lcd controller verilog

it's all written in an HDL...no need to have any additional hardware

you just need to look into your LCD datasheet...and see what control signals it needs...and write some state machines for controlling it

don't you have any documentation that says anything about LCD interface in your kit?

verilog code for lcd display

Hi engrkhadim, I have wroten once in VHDL. This LCD is a 40x4 and have some rountines to control a keybord, but it´s easy to identify the primary blocks to control. The project was made in Quartus II 7.2. Follows in attachment. best regards

engrkhadim

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
verilog lcd code

I'm looking for a simpler code.
As I mentioned in my first post, i'm a newbie. The fpga i'm using is spartan-3e and the hardware is developed by myself and it's not a kit from company. therefore there is no documentation.

I know the working and interface of LCD and i can program it in assembly language. but i'm not familiar with HDL. I've managed to do some programming with verilog but VHDL isn't my cup of tea i think.

anyhow thanks for your responses.

lcd interface verilog

Here is some very crude code I wrote to display "Hello World!" on the LCD of a Xilinx Virtex-4 development board. Maybe it will help you:

Similar code, modified for the Xilinx Spartan-3E Starter Kit:

engrkhadim

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
verilog lcd interfacing

@ECHO47 Thanks buddy it works but I need to understand it.

Meanwhile I was trying my own code and I've become successful to show a single character full of the display. I hope I'll control this timing stuff.

lcd code (verilog or vhdl)

Yes, my Verilog LCD module is somewhat weird and unclear. I wrote it quickly long ago for some forgotten test purpose, and not as a teaching example.

Good luck writing your own module. Hopefully yours will be clearer and easier to use. :)

Re: lcd code (verilog or vhdl)

Yes, my Verilog LCD module is somewhat weird and unclear. I wrote it quickly long ago for some forgotten test purpose, and not as a teaching example.

Good luck writing your own module. Hopefully yours will be clearer and easier to use. :)

i can agree with the complexity of your code, as i spent all morning trying to figure out what it does.. tried overwriting hellow world with something else and it doesnt work :(

try this blog post, it includes a simple code you can customize easily to any lcd display.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back