Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple FET Question- help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemant03

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FET Question

Hi,
I am using an N channel enhancement FET in my circuitry to ensure that I block positive voltages and allow negative voltages. I have tried to simulate the following circuit (attached). The Vgs(th) is 4V (for IRFL104). I am able to see an output voltage on drain eventhough the Vgs(th) is -5V (as gate is grounded). I am unable to understand the reason for that?

Thanks,
- Hemant

Re: FET Question

Check how the IRFL104 has been made up.

Firstly, what's VGG?
Also, do remember that the FET has a body diode across drain-source in reverse.

hemant03

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi,
Vgg is the output. Basically my intention is to see V1 = Vgg when V1 is negative and no voltage when V1 is positive. I am trying to use the Vgs(th) concept and for an enhancement mode , Vgs is anywhere around 1 to 4 V depending on the type of FET. My problem is when Vgs is negative (as Vg is 0 and Vs is 4), I am still seeing V1 = Vgg when the FET should actually be OFF.

Thanks,
- Hemant

FET Question

Hi.

Thats because of the body diode as mentioned by Checkmate.

FET Question

Yes. Knowing how to draw simulations schematics in LTSpice is fine. Reading datasheets or text books is useful, too.

You may want to download an evaluation circuit and have a look how they have "designed" an N channel enhancement FET.

Status
Not open for further replies.