Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple circuit qestion, NEED HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

idtkid

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to wire up a simple circuit comprised of the following components.

5x Infrared LEDs 1.28v 30mA
1x preexisting IR camera/bluetooth circuit 3v 300mA

My question is can I wire these up to run off of 1 of 3 ac adapter that I have?

7.5v 700mA
5.2v 650mA
5.1v 700mA

If so would someone please describe or a provide as schematic as to how to create this circuit? I would be so appreciative as this is a school project that needs to be completed soon. (I am a product designer creating a functional prototype for my thesis class) Thanks in advance for any help you may have

If you can use a voltage regulator like LM317 necessary voltage will be provided to the LEDs and IR camera....if not then do check the maximum voltage rating of these components if this rating is more than adapter output voltage you can use alll components in parallel as a load.....it will effect there useful life

I would choose the 7.5V power supply. Then use two LM317 regulators as previously suggested. Use one regulator to drop the 7.5V to 3V and the other one to produce the voltage for the LEDs. The LM317 is easy to use. The datasheet will give a simple equation for setting the output voltage based on two resistor values.
The drawback of linear regulators are that they dissipate heat. Expect to radiate about 1W of heat from the 3V section. Use a heatsink and/or a fan. Since it is a prototype, you probably do not have to run for long intervals.
There are newer and better regulators than the LM317. However, this device is easy to find. The reason for the 7.5V supply over the 5V supplies is that the LM317 requires several volts of headroom. The 5V supply would not have enough headroom to generate the 3V output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back