Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple 9volt battery question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogie

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
problem: Radio Shack mini amplifier uses a nine volt battery. Power output, I.E. speaker volume is directly related to battery strength. A single nine volt starts to lose volume after only thirty minutes.

Can I solve this problem by connecting multiple nine volts in parallel.

I'm guessing that the batteries connected together would still put out nine volts but would also have increased amps. The Mini Amplifier is rated for 300mA min as stated on the device itself.

If not any other suggestions for increasing nine volt battery life.
thanks,
Rogie

You are correct in principle but in reality, it doesn't work.

The reason is that unless all the batteries are identical, and I mean absolutely identical, not just the same size or manufacturer, the first to start to lose charge will be topped up by the others. In other words, the current you need for the amplifier will flow from one battery to another rather than it all going where you need it.

You will see some increase in life but it will be less than you expect and in terms of cost, it will be less economical than just changing one new battery for another when it has discharged.

The only solution is either a bigger single battery or connected cells (6 x 1.5V for example), or an alternative power source altogether such as a wall-wart mains adapter.

Brian.

The Radio Shack mini amplifier has a max battery current of 111mA, not 300mA. Its current at idle is only 5mA and its average current with loud music or speesch is only 16mA.

Use a locally made name-brand alkaline battery, not a cheap Chinese carbon-zinc "heavy-duty" battery that spent 1 year on a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back