Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

similarity of schematic and pcb layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

forgive me i am new.

i just layed out 10w boost smps with Pulsonix.

i have sync'd .sch and .pcb files.

but how do i really know whether or not the connections that are made in my schematic are the same as the ones that i now have in front of me on the pcb layout screen?

i followed the yellow net lines which act as markers but i really feel i need to be sure b4 i commit to manufacture.

does any reader know how i do this interconnectivity check?

Standard would be a board status and/or DRC check to see how much is missing and if NILL, then every thing is ok.

It passes the DRC check apart from 54 "drill back off" errors.

But i still feel unsure that the layout is the same as the schematic even though the layout and schematic are synchronized.

any suggestions?

one thing you could do is compare both schematic and PCB, there must be a design comaprison option in it, but as these are already syncronised it wont show any error(and if it shows then your fear is right)
other thing you could do is generate the netlist from sch and PCB and manually check for the particular connections you are worried about .

hpoe it helps you.

Switchers are usually layout-sensitive. I.e. performance and (especially) EMI may depend on the layout significantly. If the datasheet for your switched has a recommended layout - follow it closely.

- Nick

thanks kender,

regarding poor layout problems........and the conducted emission problems they give....is it possible to have poor layout and use common and differential mode filtering to filter it away?

eem2am said:
regarding poor layout problems........and the conducted emission problems they give....is it possible to have poor layout and use common and differential mode filtering to filter it away?
Sometimes it's possible to filter out the conducted EMI. But I've had horror stories where such approach was difficult. For example, I've seen conducted EMI propagate through ground plane.

If you post your boost schematic or a part number for your boost converter/controller, we might help you get more prepared.

- Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back