Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] SIM900 SMS reception trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard77

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I've got the following trouble.

I've got a SIM900 on a board. Everything works great till I receive an SMS.

Everytime the SIM900 receives a SMS, the SMS is stored on the SIM card (I can read it on a normal phone) but the SIM900 module then turns off without any warning message sent...

I think that the network does not receive an answer from the SIM900. When I read the SIM on a normal phone the message appears as many times as I have performed a SIM900 power up...

When the SIM has been inserted in a normal phone, I can put it back in the SIM900 and everything works great till next attempt to receive a SMS.

Anybody has an idea of what is wrong ?

Thanks.

check your power supply - when transmitting the device can draw a lot of current which maygive a drop in supply voltage and cause the device to reset or switch off

Reading a lot about SIM900 I was aware of the power supply needs. Today my board is powered with a 5V 2A AC/DC adapter.
As I have no trouble in sending SMS, is it possible that the current draw could be higher in SMS reception than in SMS sending ?

- - - Updated - - -

The voltage on my board is shifted to 4.1V by a MIC2903 according to SIM900 Hardware Design. I've got only a digital multimeter, but according to its reading I have no drop in voltage during all the process. 4.1V sharp...

there are some guidelines to the power supply in section 4.1 of the datasheet
**broken link removed**

a power supply of 2amps should be sufficent when transmitting

I have only a digital multimeter but I've check either voltage and current flow during process and I cannot see any trouble. 4.1V sharp and 280mA till the SIM900 shuts down...

Does anybody has another idea ? Any chance to get debugging message from SIM900 before shut off ?

I've just check with a 5V / 45A power supply and it's still going wrong :roll:

Last edited:

Hello everybody. I've bought the very same board again and now everything is going well. I must admit that I couldn't imagine that a chip could have only a small part of functionnality going wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.