Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIM900 GPRS Connection doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebasira

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello to all!!

I can successfully transfer data with a Server. But I've seen a lot of ways to start a connection. Now, my goal is to make the device a little more roboust, to prevent malfunction

Right now, the command sequence I use to connect to the server is:

1- AT+CGATT = 1
2- AT+CSTT="<apn>","<user>","<pass>"
3- AT+CIICR
4- AT+CDNSCFG = "8.8.8.8","8.8.4.4" (Google DNS)
5- (wait for IP STATUS)
6- AT+CIPSTART="TCP","<server domain name>","<port>"

I do not make use of any of those AT Commands:
AT+CIPCSGP
AT+CLPORT
AT+CIPMUX
AT+CIPMODE
AT+CGDCONT
AT+CDNSORIP

Should I use them? All of them or just a few?
I mean, if for example CDNSORIP is changed (for any reason) to IP mode and I'm sending domain name, then I guess I won't be able to connect. So maybe it would be a good idea to set CDNSORIP to be DNS before starting the connection.

Also there are some of them I'm not sure I understand it's functionallity, and please correct me if I'm wrong:
AT+CIPCSGP: With this command I should set the connection to be GPRS instead of CSD, and also set the APN. This APN has to be the same in

AT+CSTT, but why configure the APN two times, isn't one enough?

AT+CLPORT: Set the Protocolo and the Port... but why, if I already set them in CIPSTART?

AT+CIPMUX: For now, single connection, so should be always set to 0

AT+CIPMODE: I will always use NORMAL MODE

AT+CGDCONT: This is the one that confuse me the most. I don't understand what is it for. And again APN is requiered

I hope you can help me and clarify my mind. Thanks in advance!

i think u must use
at+cip strat
in the bigening

@Sebasira,

Try this order...

1. AT+CIPMUX=1
2. AT+CIPMODE=0 OR 1
3. AT+CIPSHUT ----> Deactivate GPRS PDP context..In case if gprs is activated earlier..modem will not know..
4. AT+CIPSTATUS ---->Check the curretn connection status of the modem...It should be STATE INITIAL HERE
5. AT+CSTT
6. AT+CIICR
7. AT+CIFSR
8. AT+CIPSTART

Status
Not open for further replies.