Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

signal generator RF ON/OFF setting confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinito

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I use signal generator to produce clock at 50 MHz, what's the amplitude range I should use and what's the difference between RF ON/OFF option and if should I use it?

on/off usually means that the signal is present at the output connector or not. This is a safety feature to keep you from damaging the circuit you are driving by letting you adjust the generator before applying the stimulus.

The best way to set the levels is by monitoring with an oscilloscope. Some generators have their amplitude settings based on a 50 ohm load. If you are driving the clock line in a digital system this may not be the true load. The safest thing is to watch with the scope and no other connection on the output. Then connect to your circuit and double check again with the scope and make corrections on the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.