Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

signal conditioning......

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckym

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I'm working on a system for measuring position. I have a sensor, it is magnetic encoder http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/eng/Products/Magnetic-Encoders/Linear-Encoders/AS5306and it sends data (quadrature signals A,B) to MCU.
I want to ask if it is good idea (in term of noise) to connect the sensor directly to MCU if the sensor is away from MCU board. The supply and signals to sensor will be carried by shielded cable max 2 meters.

thanks michal.

Adding signal conditioning/input protection is always a good idea .. see attached picure ..
The circuit consists of a small capacitor, say, 100pF (LPF), 2.2kΩ pullup (most of rotary encoders have OC/OD outputs), 5.1V Zener and a couple of series resistors ..
With this (or similar) circuit in place you shouldn't have problems with noise and 2m long shielded umbilical ..

Rgds,
IanP

luckym

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back