Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

siemens mobile phones communication port voltage levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarized

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am interested if the data in and data out pins on the siemens c35, c45 or mt50 mobile phones follow the ttl/cmos voltage levels or the above mentioned mobiles already have a voltage level translator inside of them capable of directly communicating with RS232 devices? If they do not have a voltage level translator like MAX232 can I assume that they are in fact UART capable and that I can directly connect them to an UART of a microcontroller without "glue logic"?

Bye.

The C35 as far as I know has about 3.3V level RS232 on its pins. The polarity is reverse that of RS-232 and the same as on the pins of an 8051. So if you are using a 3.3V mirco, just connect directly. Otherwise, you have to use a level translator.

level translator for mobile phones

Hi,
If I use a level translator as you suggested I think that I have to place two of them because real RS232 levels are inverted, I mean the logical zero is from +5V to +12V and the logical one is from -5V to -12 V. What do you think can I use a simple resistor divider from the TX pin of a 5V microcontroller and in the other direction I dont use any glue logic but just connect the TX from the mobile to the RX of the microcontroller. I think that the logical "one" treshold of the 8051 for instance Atmel will correctly intepret the logical level? But, many data cables for mobile phones when communicating with PC-s just use a simple MAX232(5V operated) so what is the point of correctly matching the voltage levels if it works without the matching?

Regards.

You do not need two rs232 converters because the max already inverts the signal (in sending and receiving edge).

If you use a microcontroller you can use a simple transistor as inverter in send and receive path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back