Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shouldn't lower current LEDs be cheaper than higher current LEDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Why is it that i cannot find a white 500mA or 700mA rated white LED that's cheaper then the 1A rated XPEWHT LED from Cree?

-Surely, lower current LEDs should be cheaper than higher current LEDs?
...but after searching on digikey, this is not the case.

-The below shows the XPEWHT LED , and the nearest priced LED to it, which is still more expensive, in spite of its significantly lower current rating.

Surely there must be a 500mA to 750mA LED somewhere in the world thats cheaper than the XPEWHT LED?

This 1 Amp XPEWHT LED is $1.03 on digikey for 5000 pieces:-
**broken link removed**

This Sheun LED is 750mA and $1.42 FOR 5000 PIECES ON DIGIKEY:-
**broken link removed**

Well, assuming that both manufacturers have similar costs & price philosophies, then it is NOT the current capability of an LED which is a measure of performance. It is the light output efficiency.

A careful reading of the specs will probably show that the lumens/ amp value for the cheaper one is lower than for the more expensive one. Do check & confirm if this is so ?

Sometimes there is paradox in real life, specially in shops, and people often got short circuit in minds when they saw some older part in front of newer and better part with less money. They buy parts and they keep their old calc/price for whole selling time of that particular part.

When we start this story, what to say for old PIC16F84 ? What is price ?

Some companies have economy policy that is better to heat people over ears and take money not based on production cost, but by how much people have money in pocket.

Last edited:

Exactly, agree with tpetar, price is not dependant on tech specs. Fact of life. All (most) businesses will charge whatever the market will bear.
(i.e. why sell something cheaper if your target market is willing to pay more).
And economies of scale come in too - maybe less people purchase LEDs that operate with that particular range of current.

Dear Sky_123 & tpetar, what you say may be true for products which have some differentiator value, but not really true for an open market almost consumer item like LED's which I am sure is quite competitive. But that is getting off topic.

Have any of you tried looking at the specs to see if I'm right ?
I did, and it turns out my guess WAS correct.

Dear Sky_123 & tpetar, what you say may be true for products which have some differentiator value, but not really true for an open market almost consumer item like LED's which I am sure is quite competitive. But that is getting off topic.

Have any of you tried looking at the specs to see if I'm right ?
I did, and it turns out my guess WAS correct.

No my friend open market dont exist, exist only our local market shop, for us hobbyst. I dont have needs to implement 1000000 leds into my house at Christmas like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfdEDzxzmyA

And this looks like Lady Gagga house:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGl4M4_QnvI&feature=related

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back