Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Should we still use SPLDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjayphirke

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

Long back I used SPLDs like GAL16V8 etc. in my design to replace some logic & to give security to my design. Now I figured out that these devices are no longer available in market. In lattice website these are mentioned as mature devices & recommended to use ispMACH 4000V instead. But it is too bulky & new for me. I just wanted to replace few gates & 4-bit decimal to 2-bit binary converter by PLD.

With Atmel they are still available.

Please clarify whether I should consider using them or not.
Thanks.

Re: Are SPLDs obsolete ?

have a look at the Altera Max II or Max V family (they are CPLDs)

I can't recommend using SPLDs anymore - except for very particular reasons:
- PDIP package needed
- you are a hobbyist

Otherwise, I would concider Altera (MaxII, Max V), Lattice (MachXO, MachXO2, LC4K), Xilinx (Coolrunner2). LC4K and Coolrunner2 (true CPLDs!) start at 32 macrocells (which is 2x approx. 16V10) but consumes a lot less. MaxII, Max V, MachXO, MachXO2 are a lot bigger (kind of FPGA architecture). XO2 has some hard coded logic (I2C, SPI, Timer/Counter). These are concidered CPLDs but in fact are small FPGAs.
And I forget Atmel with their CPLD line (some are still 5V).

Thanks both of you. So I think I should be happy with the logic chips I have in my design. As only 3 chips are required to be integrated into a PLD, I will not consider using CPLD. And to be honest, I have no knowledge of using them. I have just heard of VHDL/ABEL ...

With regards.

I understand, that you are not interested in the power saving, higher logic density and performance aspects. So your question can be effectively reduced to: "How long will these GAL/PALCE devices be available?" But I fear, you won't get a clear statement from the remaining vendors, because they most likely decide about further product continuation based on sales figures.

Thanks, actually I am very much interested in using such advanced device. But I will have to educate myself for using them. I will definitely go for it in near future.

Now, learning to write HDL will get you a long way to creating designs for CPLDs and FPGAs. Understanding individual devices is getting less relavent (though still important) because features are becoming common across families, and Synthesis tools are very good at infering things from your generic HDL.

Thank you all for your kind information. I am really interested in using these devices (CPLD/FPGA). In my current projects I will not be using them, but I will study them afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back