Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should we avoid dummy structures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eda4you

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dummy structure

Hi!

Last day I had a discussion with a (experienced) analog designer (I's really a good one and I esteem him.) He said that he dislike dummy structure because his experience shows him that sbd profits even more by increasing the device area than on using dummies.

So, what are your comments!

Dummy structure

If not important, I think it doesnot need

Dummy structure

I agree with muldersun.If the circuit is not important,the dummy doesn't need.

Regards

flyankh

Re: Dummy structure

From my discussion with some analog layout professionals, it is being observed that the designers are avoiding use of dummy devices. The are mostly used for critical devices and devices sitting on the edge of the layout.
Also the thing depends on how good the fab' process is.

I was told that stability of the process determines this a lot.

Layout guys will not add dummy themselves. They all depend on designer to tell them. In current process, removing a dummy will not save much areas. Why not?

i support that we should try to avoid the dummies. But in todays DSM processes, rather than increasing the area, it is beneficial to use dummies.

I think that dummies important for the importand devices
it's important for resistors for example as its absolute tolerance much less than the relative tolerance

I think in ADC/DAC reference circuits, the dummy circuit is essential.

For digital circuit, the dummy circuit is not needed.

Yibin.

Dummy structure

hi,

i believe there is necessity of placing dummies on either side of the matched devices.
it reduces the variations caused because of etching process.
if the circuit needs the extra devices to be added after manufacturing we can make use of these.

Dummy structure

I agree with ambreesh.

Every coin has 2 sides, I want to say dummies sometimes bring you big cap and something you do not want, so everytime you should think which one can benefit you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back