Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should I learn 8051 or PIC microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvd

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what you learn 8051

I want to learn about microcontrollers. I want to ask whether I should learn about 8051 or PIC microcontroller. 8051 is an old MC. Will my effort to learn 8051 be justified? Do they have the same importance today? Or should I stick to PIC microcontrollers?

80sxx microcontroller programmer

I don't see anything wrong with the "old" 8051.
There are planty of new designs based on the 8051 core (Maxim, AVR, ...) and using the same set of instructions ..
There is no such a thing like "better microcntroller".
So in your case just toss a coin and select ..

Re: 8051

Hai
Lot of discussions about this on this forum.you can search and read.
Whichever you choose ,the one you will learn and master will be the best controller around , in your perspective.
Learn Pic and 8051, Master in either one of them( just a suggession!!)

Picstudent

My favorite is AT89S52 coz its cheap. I use AEC ISP to program. You can see the schematics in the software. No IC's needed :D

Thanks for feed back.
Which one is considerably cheaper so that I may stick to it. :)

I would suggest to learn AVR instead of 8051 or PIC.
But if you need 8051, then select something with ISP (in-system programming) support - it will save you some money on device programmer. For example, you can get AT89S8252 (or its new version AT89S8253). This one can be programmed with simple wire cable from LPT and have enough resources, including Data EEPROM, to start with uC design. Also, it is available in DIP package. The price is about 4$.

Maybe its a good thing to start with the 8051 and later when things get more complicated migrate to an AVR. Im still using the 89C51RD2 from atmel even when i have to drive a 240x128 pixel display. I think its mutch easyer to start with a basic processor, learn the trade and then move on to AVR or ARM even.

Srammie said:
Maybe its a good thing to start with the 8051 and later when things get more complicated migrate to an AVR. Im still using the 89C51RD2 from atmel even when i have to drive a 240x128 pixel display. I think its mutch easyer to start with a basic processor, learn the trade and then move on to AVR or ARM even.

I also have been using 8051 for a long time. But I think, for learning it is more complicated than AVR. It has many addressing types, it has many different memory segments, it has tricky "weak-1" outputs. As to AVR, you can start with tinyAVR and than easy move to mega. Also, you can always get very good support on avrfreaks.org, going through many open-source projects.

you should stick to 8051 there are diff versions of 51
just like ADuC 812 and so on .

It is wrong to assume that the PIC architecture is newer than the 8051. Chronologically this may be true, but the PIC was developed as a peripheral interface controller (hence the name) and has had features added as the range has grown. The bank addressing of RAM and EPROM and stack addressing is closer to the 8048 family (precursor to the 8051). I don't know what happened after the 16C series, I gave up.

Either will do the job you want. Whichever one you learn first will colour your future choices. I suggest you put down on paper the features and support you want in a processor and see how they stack up (along with others). Aside from price you should also consider RISC/CISC, memory (RAM and ROM) size, expandabilty, on-board peripherals, high level language support, development environment, second sources, future growth of product family, cost of development tools, books and educational material, knowledge of colleagues (to help with questions), and employment prospects.

muruga86 said:
for newbie first start with a simulator

which simulator do you suggest for beginners..?

thanks

8051 is much more available, cheaper and easier to learn for beginners,

the only defect with it that you wont find resources as many as for PIC. in my

opinion learn 8051 , master it then go to AVR, its better than both.

actually if you master any type of microcontrollers it will be easy to switch to other

types.

good luck

i am also new to this stuff...please suggest where can i find some stuff for starting this...

U Have To Visit 8051.com To ern The Bic About 8051.

8051 is not an OLD microcontroller .. as long as many products contain it effectively , then it's considered a hot issue all the time .. it doesn't matter being simple .. as long as everybody is asking about it in the industry ..
So, learn about 8051 .. and master it .. then go for PIC and all other types of microntrollers .. just concentrate on the application side .. like what can be done on 8051 .. on PIC and so on .. nowaday they managed to make the 8051 work close to 1 GHz .. and it's widely used in communications .. it's also embedded in many dies .. so, don't under-estimate it ..

I think it not about what, but it is about how can you use that microcontroller. But i would suggest 80sxx because beside it is much more available, cheaper and easier to learn, it using Flash programmer, you will easier to download your program to microcontroller.

Well, you could try to see its features and choose what will best suit your taste. Each and every architecture has its advantage and disadvantage. Its up to you to decide which will make you more comfortable in programming or cheapness, etc...I reead in mixim's website a comparison of the different architectures and it might help you. **broken link removed**

did you known any code library for 8051?

Status
Not open for further replies.