Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

should i connect a resistor to an electric motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dl09

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i bought 2 4 millimeter by 8 millimeter electric motors from china. they stopped working. i connected them to the 3.3 volt
pin of an arduino uno. initially they worked when connected to the 3.3 volt pin of an arduino uno .
did they stop working because of current overload?
--- Updated ---

55788158-ec72-403e-ac97-a7c0d2102544 (1).jpeg

here is a schematic. i use my laptop to power the arduino uno, which powers the electric motor.
--- Updated ---

would connecting the motor to a resistor, prevent this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

Again a question, showing the lack of basic understanding of electric/electronics.

I guess ... before you connected the motor to the Arduino ... you never did try to learn how to connect a motor to an arduino.
You did no internet search.
I assume this, because no one will do it the way you did.
Try an internet search on your own "connecting a motor to arduino schematic".
And read the text around the schematics.

Arduino signals are data signals, voltage signals,
Almost no current, no power, no energy.

But a motor needs current, power, energy to run.
Thus it needs some kind of amplifier that tranfers the arduino_information to motor_power.
Thats what the texts describe and the schematics show.

Klaus

In addition to Klaus questions:
What is the motor's specified voltage and current?

If you are connecting a 12 volt fan to a 3.3 volt supply it is surprising it ran at all.
And if it initially rotated but suddenly stopped working, you could have actually damaged the Arduino port.

The advertisements say 3 volt to 5 volt.

Hi,

Another point to learn: an advertisement is no datasheet.

Every device comes with a datasheet.
If there is a device without datasheet: in most cases it's not worth buying it.
All professionals need to read datasheets. Many pages, many files. Daily.

You ask to use a resistor. You urgently need to know and to use Ohm's law. It tells you how to calculate the resistor value.
With the use of voltage and current. Without current it is impossible to calculate. Without having a clue about current it is even impossibke to estimate the resistor value.
It really is impossible to design a circuit that contains a single resistor, without knowing the current.

--> your post#4 is useless, because it's incomplete.

Designing electronics goes this way:
* idea, with requirements. Values
* search for solutions, schematics, application notes, design notes, explanations
* decide which schematic you want to use
* search for parts, reading datasheets, calculating part values
* (simulation)
* building a prototype
* testing the prototype

None of the above I've ever seen in your posts.

So if you seriously want to design electronics, then start to operate seriously. And show this to us.

Please understand: We want to help you, we want to see your progress. We want to see your effort.
This motivates us to support you.
But if we just see random unelaborated ideas... without any progress, we will loose motivation.

Klaus

i bought 2 4 millimeter by 8 millimeter electric motors from china

Seriously, you should learn electronics, it is far from being a product specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back