Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

short circuit/over voltage/over load protection in smps

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.manikandan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi sir,

Can any one help me to develop/design a features over voltage /short circuit/over load protection in the PWM controller FAN7601B current mode controller used for half bridge dc to dc converter smps [/COLOR]fairchild make.

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FA/FAN7601B.pdf

regards,

S.Manikandan

Since it's half-bridge, for short-circuit protection, you should use a current transformer in the path of the power transformer.
For overvoltage protection, step down the DC bus using a voltage divider, eg, by a factor of 100. So, 300VDC gives 3V at the output of the voltage divider. Say, you realize that overvoltage is defined for voltages greater than 360VDC. So, set up a comparator circuit, which turns off the PWM controller when the voltage at the output of the voltage divider is greater than 3.6V.
Since you're going to be using a current transformer for short circuit protection, you can also use that for overload protection. Monitor the output voltage from the transformer and set up a comparator circuit there as well.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Re: short circuit/over voltage/over load protection in smps
HELLO
greetings just finished my first smps IR2153 based have no problems with the smps can short circuit/ overvoltage/ overload be implemented in this smps PLEASE can
anyone help me out any ir2153 protection circuits are welcome i am just learning smps
warm regards
andrew lebon

For short-circuit and overload protection you need currrent sensing methods. For short-circuit protection the response time must be very quick in order to prevent damage to the MOSFETs. For overvoltage protection, you can compare the scaled down DC voltage to a fixed reference and latch the output which will shut down the IR2153.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Hello
greetings can anyone tell value of prest R8 and Q4 Q3 please can anyone help
warm regards
andrew lebon

- - - Updated - - -

sorry for not posting circuit:oops:

Attachments

• IR21531 Circuit.png
    IR21531 Circuit.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 202

https://www.redcircuits.com/Page62.htm
Hello
greetings i tried many ocp circuits for my IR2153 SMPS i have failed due to lack of knowledge cant find any schematic for ir2153 ocp can this circuit be used to cut ac input
if ac current EXCEEDS 8 amperes at least smps will be safe PLEASE can any one reply going nuts how to make ocp
warm regards
andrew lebon

Andrew Lebon,
You can find the answers on this link**broken link removed**

Hi Picgak
greetings thanks for helping at this very moment i am building this ocp
warm regards
andrew lebon

Status
Not open for further replies.