Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shift from SW to Chip designing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot....i shall try to get info abt this......any idea abt institutes in Bangalorea not too tough entrance and decent placement is what i am looking for and ur posts are showing me exactly that.. ??......Again,thanks a lot...

biswami said:
Thanks a lot....i shall try to get info abt this......any idea abt institutes in Bangalorea not too tough entrance and decent placement is what i am looking for and ur posts are showing me exactly that.. ??......Again,thanks a lot...

There is one more company in Bangalore which provides training but don't know about there course structure. Check their webpage.
All the best-

**broken link removed**

hi..
here with me it is opposite story...
i transfered from Hw to SW.....

I will suggest join some start-up comapny...
where u get chance to start from basic...

no course or book will help you..
trust me...

if you are a software engineer, you can move to chip verification - Cadence e language, Synopsys Vera or System Verilog Testbench, may be System C is better.

I got the following list from asic-world.com.....the comments are from the site owner..you can add yours abt any of these u know.....thanx a lot

V3Logic
Bangalore
Have most ASIC tools from Mentor Graphics.

Accel Technologies
Chennai
Had good reputation in initial years, but now things have changed.

Vedant
All over India
Offers front end and backend design including Analog & Mixed Signal design.

Sandeepani
Bangalore
Does not have good training staff, but good lab and books facility. One good thing

ATIIT
Chennai
Does not have good training staff, but have complete VLSI flow tools.

IIT Kharagpur
Kharagpur
These guys are the best

D'GIPRO
Bangalore
Offers modules for engineers who are already in the industry.

Vdesign
Pondicherry
Offers good training, also supported by a good lab.

Technology
Mumbai
These guys are really cool (Only people who spoke about their training staff in their webpage).

ICON
Bangalore
Used to be EDA sales people a few years back. Just check them up.

Horizon
Chennai
The first training centre in India, these guys used to give one of the best training when they started.

Bitmapper
Pune
Seems to be a good training centre. Does not offer ASIC/VLSI, but just FPGA/HDL training.

CDAC
Pune
Offers Diploma in VLSI, have good network of training centers in India, but like other starters in this business, offers only FPGA design and a bit of backend training.

DOEACC Centre
Calicut
Offers wide variety of training.

TTM
Secunderabad
Offers the best Training in India. I had the chance to visit them some years ago for a business discussion. I was impressed by their staff and the Lab facility they have.

PICT
Pune
Seems to have a good tools flow setup.

biswami said:
I got the following list from asic-world.com.....the comments are from the site owner..you can add yours abt any of these u know.....thanx a lot

V3Logic
Bangalore
Have most ASIC tools from Mentor Graphics.

Accel Technologies
Chennai
Had good reputation in initial years, but now things have changed.

Vedant
All over India
Offers front end and backend design including Analog & Mixed Signal design.

Sandeepani
Bangalore
Does not have good training staff, but good lab and books facility. One good thing

ATIIT
Chennai
Does not have good training staff, but have complete VLSI flow tools.

IIT Kharagpur
Kharagpur
These guys are the best

D'GIPRO
Bangalore
Offers modules for engineers who are already in the industry.

Vdesign
Pondicherry
Offers good training, also supported by a good lab.

Technology
Mumbai
These guys are really cool (Only people who spoke about their training staff in their webpage).

ICON
Bangalore
Used to be EDA sales people a few years back. Just check them up.

Horizon
Chennai
The first training centre in India, these guys used to give one of the best training when they started.

Bitmapper
Pune
Seems to be a good training centre. Does not offer ASIC/VLSI, but just FPGA/HDL training.

CDAC
Pune
Offers Diploma in VLSI, have good network of training centers in India, but like other starters in this business, offers only FPGA design and a bit of backend training.

DOEACC Centre
Calicut
Offers wide variety of training.

TTM
Secunderabad
Offers the best Training in India. I had the chance to visit them some years ago for a business discussion. I was impressed by their staff and the Lab facility they have.

PICT
Pune
Seems to have a good tools flow setup.

Vedant according to me is the best followed by CDAC and then DOEACC Calicut.

c-dac pune,is good but they prefer mostly B.tech freshers not even m.techs

TIIT, hyderabad is also a good one, give lot of asignments, have idustry std tools,

vedaiit is also a good, but entrance is very tough!!!

-novice

Another opinion from u guys....i hear and read that semiconductor industry is the next big thing after IT.....that theres great demand for trained professionals in this domain...as u ppl are already working in this domain,know abt the type of projects undertaken,...u can share ur opinion on this....
eg,in IT projects are basically of the same type.....user/browser...database...user...however,every client needs one....projects from everyone....plus ,as technology changes,these have to be refractored...so more projects...some applications are distributed,probelms occur randomly,,so these have to be supported...more projects....tnis cycle continues....and will continue for quite some long time....as a developer like me ,initially things are interesting......but soon things get repetitive....no much to learn new
tom_hanks
hi..
here with me it is opposite story...
i transfered from Hw to SW...
May i know the reason

I would like to raise one more issue.
Are most projects in India confined to Testing and Verification?How much design r&d projects actually happen?

As for me,i want to develop a chip ,the utility of which i have in my mind.That will require design from scratch....so aiming for design kinda job....but i come to hear from some insiders that thats not the case..

It is true that many projects are related to testing & verification.But all major semiconductor Industries in India inviting skilled people for design services.

Hi all,
In this thread Vedant was suggested to be a good institute.So I personally visited Vedant,Semi conductor Complex,Mohali,Chandigarh all the way from Chennai.However,i was disappointed by the tight security....plenty of police guards...god knows what they do inside!!I was not allowed inside...i desperately wanted some insider information...so i caught hold of a Vedant student who was just abt to enter the gates...he presented a dismal picture abt the course...out of 120 only 20 got placed....the faculty was not good....i was shocked when he wanted me to refer him in my current company for a sw job...here i am ---willing to quit my job to join this course....and this is what i hear...but yes...he said its easy to clear the test...thats why i was interested in this!!So anybody who has some info abt this course may please share...
Hi rakesh,hows the placements at sandeepani??

I gave the vedant test..got qualified...but ,perhaps,have to wait for the next batch ...till my bond with my company ends.

socware wrote:
Hello,
Thats the case everywhere, even CDAC and other institutes boast of good course and placement, but I have my close friends who did course from CDAC pune and did not get placement.

And regarding faculty, its the same everywhere in India, since you know there is no minimum level of qualification required for faculty.

So in camparision I finf vedant easy to get in and with placement is good companies, since getting into CDAC is not so easy now a days as the competiton is getting tough.
Even after getting into CDAC u can't be sure u will get a job.

And that guy wanted to go into S/W, I think just becoz in s/W one earns preety good in India and even gets chance to go abroad, and man chip design has never been easy.

Thanks a lot for ur comments.
I had a chat with the invigilator of the Vedant test.He was a Design engineer with SCSL.He presented a rosy picture of vedant.I told him that i will be having 2 years of exp in java...whether it will affect my chances of joining some design company.He said,rather it will help,coz of corporate exp.Also,command in C and UNIX is mandatory,which i need to brush up.
I am a bit surprised with the result of vedant test.I don't think my test was good.Still i got thru.Was it by sheer luck,or the competion was less?may be awareness abt Vedant is low..or ppl are not interested in it..I may definitely need such luck again next year.

Some questions:
1.Some guys dont get placed on campus. Why?what qualities or profile do the placed ones have and the unplaced ones lack?.I would like to acquire these skills.

2.Those who dont get placed on campus,do they find ample oppurtunities off campus?

I am going on a short trip to US(2 /3 months)...I would like to take this oppurtunity to benefit my cause...but as of now i dont know how?may be find something about their colleges doing VLSI...what they r doing research on,etc.,anything that may help me in joining chip designing.

Looking forward to ur inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back