Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setup and Hold violation on the D pin of a flipflop

Status
Not open for further replies.

enishank

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If i have setup and hold violation on a D pin of a flipflop. What can be the reason and how to solve it.

Hi.,

Setup and hold time violations are due to delays in the flip-flop.

To overcome these delays,
Add some buffers between them to meet delays.

Thanks for the pointers and sorry if my question was not clear, i was not asking the fixes for general scenarios. my Question was that can we have setup and hold violation (both) on a single D pin of a flop at the same time.. Then how to solve it.

my Question was that can we have setup and hold violation (both) on a single D pin of a flop at the same time..
Yes, there are several ways to get it
- too much delay skew
- the input signal is too fast (not stable for a sufficient long amount of time) respectively the D-FF too slow
Then how to solve it.
Sounds like you are asking to retell one or more textbook chapters. In general, try to change the conditions causing timing violations.

fix the setup violation, then buffer the hold violation at the Q pin of the launching flop with the hold violation (or at least somewhere on the path not common to the setup violation)

This is assuming the violations are not from the same launching flops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back