Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

set_clock_uncertainty vs set_min_delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonofflynn

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to set a specific hold time for my design in SoC Encounter. Is there any difference between using" set_clock_uncertainty -hold" and "set_min_delay" to do this? If so, what is the difference between each command? And which is better to use?

I've never done what you're asking, but am interested in hearing about your reasons for doing this, and if possible what your experience with this is. I have several thoughts I'll share anyway:

\[\to\] I've only ever used set_clock_uncertainty to add margin to the clock tree pre-CTS. I'm not sure how encounter treats this value once the clock tree is known (perhaps you know already?);
\[\to\] it will be applied directly to the whole tree, i.e. you can specify the value once;
\[\to\] set_min_delay will have to be applied to all logic paths by you, this might be irritating to do correctly;
\[\to\] if you change the clock frequency, you may have to manually change these values.

It might be easier to use a non-zero target slack in the optimisation settings before the post-route hold optimisation, e.g.

Code:
# target hold slack set to 50 ps: 
setOptMode -holdTargetSlack 0.05
optDesign -postRoute -hold -incr

Interested to hear your thoughts/experience.
sharted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back