Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Servo Motor does not lock on cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafrse

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a circuit that controls the speed of capstan motor in a tape recorder, when powered on, the motor goes to the highest speed (unlocked) and then stabilizes to the correct selected speed after about 3-4 sec. If the power is powered +8v at pin 1 to the control circuit but the motor is disconnected and connected again, the servo locks directly to the correct speed.
its seems that only on power-on together when the motor is engaged when selected to Play (pin 9) connected to the motor.

Pin 1 +8V power
Pin 2 squarewave signal from the tachmeter
Pin 3 controls the speed by 4 capacitors, one for each speed, and then to GND
Pin 4,5 GND
Pin 6 is used for max speed through a diode and 47K resitor to +8v
Pin 7 not used
Pin 6 to indicator(not used)
Pin 9 to the motor

What can be wrong that causes the motor to spin very fast and then stabilizes when the circuit is powered by the +8v first time? as I explaned if I move the selector to other position where the motor is not engaged and engage the motor again (worm start , circuit is powered) , it locks directly
Thanks

Attachments

• Schematics.jpg
    Schematics.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 102

What kind of motor (PMDC?), where ist it exactly connected. Schematic shows only "motor indicator" at pin 9.

The control principle isn't obvious, I guess there are other circuit parts involved.

Hello, it is a DC motor, schematics shows pin 9 and 8 , pin 9 goes to the motor pole , pin 8 goes to the indicator if it is available at this model.
Corrected:
Pin 1 +8V power
Pin 2 squarewave signal from the tachmeter, can be from 30khz-60khz depending on speed slected at pin 3
Pin 3 controls the speed by 4 capacitors, one for each speed, and then to GND
Pin 4,5 GND
Pin 6 is used for max speed through a diode and 47K resitor to +8v
Pin 7 not used
Pin 8 to indicator(not used in this particular model I have since it lacks indicator level meter)
Pin 9 to the motor pole, the other pole is GND
--- Updated ---

To explane about the modes in the rotary selector switch involved here:

"Stop" No +8v power DC motor is not engaged
"Play" +8v adn motor is engaged at the same time (used to adjust audio when motor is not engaged)
"Test" No +8v power DC motor is not engaged

Now if I go from -> to:

Stop->Play Motor will not lock the first 3 sec (cold start)
Play->Test +8v present, DC motor is not engaged
Test->Play Motor will lock directly since the +8 is already present from Test mode

Last edited:

Doesn't Stellavox provide locking of the capstan to an internal crystal reference oscillator respectively an external time reference? If so, where's the reference injected?

Hello,
Not in this unit , it uses 1 capacitor for each speed, capacitor is connected to pin 3, the other pin of the capacitor goes to GND and it uses pin 2 which is the Tacho signal from the DC motor. There are no other circuits related to this one. I am looking what can cause this overshoot on power on, rest of the time after the power on, DC motor is locked
--- Updated ---

Attached a block digram and a picture of the module.
Component involved:

SMC Capstan motor
STF Amplifier for the Tacho signal
SMU Motor control (the schematics attached in previous posts)

Attachments

• Schematics.jpg
    Schematics.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Schematics2.jpg
    Schematics2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.