Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Series and parallel connections between LEDs and a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: LEDs stopped working

:-DBattery may b empty!!!:-D
(if its working earlier)

what du u mean by this?

If your battery you use is empty and you start drawing current from that battery, the voltage will starts to drop :)

oh.......u had connected it parallel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, I got all this soldered up and tried it out, It didnt do anything until I put the two LED leads of the last LED that goes to the battery negative together .

What did I do wrong?

Thanks

Can post a diagram? Might be wrong connection? The flat portion of the LED is negative. :)

Can post a diagram? Might be wrong connection? The flat portion of the LED is negative. :)

Well, tell me if im doing this right.

fy2wr8.png

Thanks

Oh ya! I guess you just start doing electronics? You can try buying breadboard next time.. you just need to plug in everything there to experiment :)

Oh ya! I guess you just start doing electronics? You can try buying breadboard next time.. you just need to plug in everything there to experiment :)

Yeah I am, Ive looked at those breadboards. They look confusing and I really dont see how they would work. LOL

The top 2 row and bottom 2 row is horizontal connected, for power supply or your battery purpose. The middle rows are those vertically connected. The other method you can try is wire wrap. Wrap wires to your components :)

The top 2 row and bottom 2 row is horizontal connected, for power supply or your battery purpose. The middle rows are those vertically connected. The other method you can try is wire wrap. Wrap wires to your components :)

Okay I found my problem, the battery I was using was only putting out 5 volts total. enough to barely light the two and not enough for all three. So I swtiched out with a new battery, (The one that killed my green LEDs) and used a 100Ohm Resistor (I might go with 330Ohm), It works great and is just the right amount of light. Thanks so much for your help. If I have anymore problems I will always come to this forum.

I will post a picture of the finished result of what im lighting in afew minutes.

---------- Post added 03-10-10 at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was 02-10-10 at 22:27 ----------

Hello, Just wanted to show the finished result.

qywltl.jpg

The shelf on the right glowing blue is what was working on.
The shelf on the left is where the green that died was.

Here is a picture of the green shelf glowing before it died.

i6zixe.jpg

Thanks for everyone helping me, especially john blue.

Cool project. Congratulations! :)

(I have not read all the posts here, so excuse me if I am repeating)
If you connect in parallel then the same voltage as that of the battery is what you get across each LED's
If in series, after each LED, there will be a voltage drop equal to the voltage req. by each LED. (in your case approx, 3.3)

Now with the older battery, (which you might have used for some other purposes too, earlier) the battery must be drained off to some extent providing a little voltage to every LED. Thus luckly saving the LED's. This can be crossed checked as, the newer battery gave more brighter results (since higher voltage available) You were just fortunate before.

Now with the new batteries, LEDS got damaged as could not handle that much of voltage level. I conclude you must have been connected in series from the following:
Source...Led1...Led2...Led3
9V 9V......5.7V....2.4V....(All working) step 1
9V.. xx......xxx......9V......(1st two gone as voltage was above its levels) Step2..(9V at led as now with the leds gone, no voltage drop was induced)
9V... xx......xxx......xxx...... All gone>> and as you said the 3rd went off after some time.

Solution:
Use current limiting resistors. I.e resistors (470Ohms or 1K Ohms) before the LEDS or after. Basically in the path of LED and battery.
And connect all in paralel. And dont forget to use resistors in every branch.

Akshay.
Glad to help you.

---------- Post added at 04:42 ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 ----------

Oops... YOu are already done. Sorry.. Will check the recent posts from next time.

Congrats.. cool thing

why U r using battery for this indoor project! WHY CANT U USE a low amps step down transformer (230/9) for power supply so that u could connect it to 230 v ac.
For LEDs , Even u can connect those directly to 230v WITH A HIGH RESISTANCE AND DIODE IN SERIES WITH THE LED CHAIN.
THE RESISTANCE SHOULD BE DESIGNED CAREFULLY.
TO DESIGN THE RESISTOR,CONSIDER THE MAX SAFE CURRENT THROUGH LED.
ALSO,remember 230V AC is the RMS voltage, the peak voltage is around 325.

why U r using battery for this indoor project! WHY CANT U USE a low amps step down transformer (230/9) for power supply so that u could connect it to 230 v ac.
For LEDs , Even u can connect those directly to 230v WITH A HIGH RESISTANCE AND DIODE IN SERIES WITH THE LED CHAIN.
THE RESISTANCE SHOULD BE DESIGNED CAREFULLY.
TO DESIGN THE RESISTOR,CONSIDER THE MAX SAFE CURRENT THROUGH LED.
ALSO,remember 230V AC is the RMS voltage, the peak voltage is around 325.

Why are you on this forum (trying to help) people but instead just being rude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back