Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial to USB converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyesami

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am building a reciever module that will output serial data I have two questions:
1) how can I convert this serial data to usb to hook up to my pc ? and would i need to write my own device driver?
2) can i power the reciever circuit with the power from the usb port ?

thanks

hi aliyesami ,

i understood ur requirement

1) how can I convert this serial data to usb to hook up to my pc ? and would i need to write my own device driver?
Ans:so for ur application u need to select microcontroller which suport UART and internal USB driver there are lot of manufacturer so u need to search bcz cost of device and avalibality also importent....
i think below links may help u.else go and search in microchip (pic).
a) https://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/4751
b)**broken link removed**

2) can i power the reciever circuit with the power from the usb port ?
Ans : sure you can power up but before that u need to understand voltage and current requirment of ur hole setup ...normally most of usb drivers works with TTL logics only some of CMOS .if its CMOS again u need add LDO regulators in ur design...

i think this may help bcz wt i knw just telling u....good luck

I looked into FT232R chip , it says its a usb to serial converter , but I need the opposite , I need to convert serial to USB , or does this chip do both?

also my system is 3v , will this chip work on 3v?

I looked into FT232R chip , it says its a usb to serial converter , but I need the opposite , I need to convert serial to USB , or does this chip do both?

also my system is 3v , will this chip work on 3v?

these devices give you a COM port which can used with terminal emulators such as hyperterm, teraterm, etc (you can set baud rate, data bits etc) or you can write your own programs - you can transmit and receive characters

there are RS232, 5v and 3V versions
for 3v you need either TTL-232RG-VSW3V3-WE (with flying leads) or TTL-232R-3V3 (with connector)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back