Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial to USB converter problem ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gsalah

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all , I have just bought a Serial to USB converter so as my laptop doesn't have a serial port , the first time i connect this convert , XP started to find a driver , it found and every thing is okay , but later , when I plug this converter with the USB PC , I heared the XP tone which indicats the plugging , but I don't have a COM port yet ?

for more info , this converter is two port wire, one is USB and the other is RS232

I need to send data serialy to configuer a router by Hyper Terminal.

Hi Gsalah
Are you plugging unit into two different machines?
Does second machine already have serial ports? Normally COM1 & COM2 for a PC

If this is the case and as far as I can remember:
you will need to select a COM port number in Control Panel - System. Devices. Ports.
select any available COM number and it should work.

hope this helps ... Polymath

**broken link removed** Usb Related Docs...

thank you Polymath, yes , I did , but the same problem , the converter doesn't appeare as COM port.

In windows XP , nothing match what you said , where can I set the COM port number, anf for what device should I set this number ?

thank you for help

on the device manager, you should see there "Ports (COM &LPT) if its nots there, try to look under "Universal serial bus" and see if your device is there. what you can do also is use another computer, and see if you'll have additional serial ports available...

Gsalah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thank you hermin , Under "Ports(COM &LPT) there is nothing , but under "Universal serial bus" there is some USB controlers not related to a serial port

the converter is corectly defined in the system , but its not defined as COM port , is there a tool that define this ?

please help me !

usually its automatic, windows installs the generic driver for the Human interface device, but in this case, something under Universal Serial Bus would appear, whenever you plug in a device, one of the icons there would say that one usb port is used by this device, check to see which one has a device connected to it and probably this would be resolved by the manufacturer of the device, or some driver update...or try to use another pc... :D

Gsalah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back