Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Programming Vs. Bootloader ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdalla

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bootloader mikrobasic

Serial Programming Vs. Boot loader ??

After reading in serial programming in the data sheet of AVR atmega169V and read about the boot loader ability I was wondered that both of them is so near as if I can say that Boot loader doesn`t have High advantage over serial programming... please i want to read ur comments and opinions

thx

mikrobasic bootloader

i know for pic, if pic i runing on 4Mhz then (for known bootloaderz) botloader use 9600 bps wich take over 2min to programm entire flash of iex. 18f452 (if you run them on 20mhz you can take 11500...)
if you connect with icsp depending on your pc, and setings programming can't be longer then 20-40 sec... even if Q=32768Hz
another question is pin availibility, and what uc you are using....

bootloader mikroc

serial programming is always better and faster than bootloader. With bootloader you can't program some parts of the chip, for example the configuration bits.

shokre: pic doesn't need oscillator for icsp :arrow: programming speed isn't a function of the oscillator frequency.

bootloader for proton

in avr with boot loader the programing run faster than isp programing like STK 500 do

serial bootloader

this makes me more confuse about WHY THEY MADE Bootloader although its so near to Serial programming ??:?::?::?:

bootlader mikrobasic

abdalla said:
this makes me more confuse about WHY THEY MADE Bootloader although its so near to Serial programming ??:?::?::?:

Because a serial programmer needs external hardware and a software program control. A boodloader once loaded needs nothing, except a terminal program which is available in any operating system.

bootloader mikrobasic

The only advantage of bootloader is you don't need complicated hardware to upgrade the program on the chip.

But to use that feature you still need to use a serial/usb or parallel port programmer. So to use bootloader you still need a conventional programmer to load the initial program to the chip.

bootloader

the boot loader using on chip program so you just flash the firmware once. and upgrade running very easy

mikrobasic serial programmer

The bootloader is very useful because you can program the uC by any interface. you decide the programming methode.

I use ISP because it was my first programmer I did it.

pic bootloader oscillator initial

If you are doing a commercial product and don´t want to leave an icsp header externally to allow users to upgrade firmware through an icsp programmer, you could use bootloader programming, so you could put a serial RS232 conector or serial USB, available, it is easier for the end user i think.

isp vs bootloader

Did any one tried using a USB to RS232 converter as a bootloader interface?

I tried it once using a max232 converter connected to the rx and tx of 16f877. I loaded the pic with the bootloader firmware. I run the program and it ask me to reset the pic. I reset the pic by connecting MCLR to ground. The software didn't recognize the reset. I also tried software reset but still it doesn't recognize it.

What do you think is the problem? Can it be the USB to RS232 converter.

:?: :?: :?:

pic bootloader oscillator

Isnt bootloader also a tye of serial programming?

Is any one of you have circuit and software for "serial programming" and bootloader?

Thanks

proton bootloader

nomad13 said:
The only advantage of bootloader is you don't need complicated hardware to upgrade the program on the chip.

But to use that feature you still need to use a serial/usb or parallel port programmer. So to use bootloader you still need a conventional programmer to load the initial program to the chip.

pls i am a beginner in microprocessor programming, though i have the basic knowledge of it. i use mikrobasic in my practice but i still find out that i can write programs for some of circuits. but what i discover is i dont know how my program will flow. a friend told me that i should learn algorithm or flowcharting. but i cant seems to get a book on that can u be of help pls. thanks in anticpation

downloads.labcenter.co.uk(data sheet )

If your into basic why not use proton picbasic? I'm not saying that it is better than mikrobasic but it has a feature that can be helpful for a biggener like you. Proton has integrated a demo of proteus. Proteus is a simulator program that can cycle your program step by step.

Here are the link:

Proton Picbasic
**broken link removed**

Proteus
http://www.labcenter.co.uk/download/prodemo_download.htm#professional

serial isp boot loader

nomad13 said:
If your into basic why not use proton picbasic? I'm not saying that it is better than mikrobasic but it has a feature that can be helpful for a biggener like you. Proton has integrated a demo of proteus. Proteus is a simulator program that can cycle your program step by step.

Here are the link:

Proton Picbasic
**broken link removed**

Proteus
http://www.labcenter.co.uk/download/prodemo_download.htm#professional

thank u very much, i guess i will try and study on that. but the proteus simulator is a demo version i can get to attach my own program in it. pls i can i get to do this? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

usb microprocessors with bootloader loaded

Yes, you are free to use your program. Create the circuit that you need, attach the program file to the microcontroller then simulate your work. You can even attach serial device and run the simulation by using compim feature of proteus.

Status
Not open for further replies.