Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial printer communication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny78

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi Guys
im working on a project which prints some data on a small printer from a scale
the printer is set to 9600 8B N & my arduino Uno with max232 connected to the serial port is set the same as the printer
when using SerialPrint ("hello"); continualy the connection is established with the printer & it prints continually
i want to establish the connection for printing later with a button press
the connection is only the ground Tx Rx so i quess its software handshaking

any idea please will be great

Johnny

Handshaking probably isn't necessary but if it is and you only have thise three connections it would use XON/XOFF protocol.

However, if you only want to print anything when you press a button, the communication probably isn't an issue, your software simply has to wait for the signal from the button before sending the data. You have not given us any information on your software at all.

Brian.

Handshaking probably isn't necessary but if it is and you only have thise three connections it would use XON/XOFF protocol.

However, if you only want to print anything when you press a button, the communication probably isn't an issue, your software simply has to wait for the signal from the button before sending the data. You have not given us any information on your software at all.

Brian.
my printer has a comminication led which keeps blinking when no connection established
when i turn on my printer connected to my Arduino with this code the connection is established & keep printing
Code:
SerialPrintln("hello");
delay(2000);
i want to establish the connection without printing anything to use print button later

thanks
--- Updated ---

my printer has a comminication led which keeps blinking when no connection established
when i turn on my printer connected to my Arduino with this code the connection is established & keep printing
Code:
SerialPrintln("hello");
delay(2000);
i want to establish the connection without printing anything to use print button later

thanks
something must be sent to keep the connection alive Because after each print the connection is lost again

its ok now i have disabled the Auto baudrate of the printer & it works until i understand exactly how to do it

thanks

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.