Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial data transfer AVR-PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel_sauceda

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
avr pc

Hi, I'm developing a project using AVR 8535.
The main idea is to transfer text from a PC (ascii code) to the microcontroller.
I need some advice on this, I have read a few things about the serial port in the AVR, and someone told me that I need to use Visual Basic for the serial transmission. I also need the hardware stuff, how to connect the microcontroller to the PC, and that kind of stuff. If anyone has a suggestion or may be a refernce please posti it, e-mail me or what ever.
Thanks a lot.

avr data transfer

Hardware:
Well, you'll be needing to convert the TTL output of the AVR to RS232 transmission line voltages to be sent along the serial cable, these range from -25v to +25v. You can use the MAX232 for this.

Another thing is, will you be using all the pins of the serial port (such as the CTS or RTS etc) or just the Tx/Rx and Ground lines?

Software:
Me suk real bad at this. All I know/heard is that Visual Basic 6 Professional/Enterprise Edition has the ability to do serial communications. Also, you could use CreateFile() in C++, so I've heard, never done it though.

I to am doing such a project, whereas mine involves the PIC16F84 to PC. I'll be using bit-banging as PIC16F84 has no UART controller. I'm planning to make a "serial network", it maybe stupid, but more of a learning experience.

Hope this helps,
Sputnik :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.