Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Data Communication Using Sim 900 gsm module

Status
Not open for further replies.

snel

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hii to Everyone.
This will be my first post as an issue.
First of all i will like to thank the members of edaboard who are here to support our querries.

I am making a project module in which i am supposed to send the serial data as a text sms to a predefined number over the Gsm module (I have purchased sim 900 module)

I have been successful in recieving the data over the tx line (at 9600 bps) from a serial communication device.

Now the type of data i am recieving over here is alphanumeric.
now my aim is to send these characters to a predefined number using a gsm module.

I am a bit confused in accomplishing my task since i am a new bie in this field.
I am stuck at these points:

1) Do i need a microcontroller for my task.??
2) Do we have an option in gsm module to connect the Tx to Rx directly so that my gsm module can directly recieve the serial data by
eliminating the need of microcontroller...??
3) What type of a circuit will i have to design....????

Any help will be appreciated...
Please reply soon...
Thanks in advance...

if you want to send the data serially to some cell phone using gsm modem.

then you need the microcontroller USART. (Tx,Rx pins)
you can connect the gsm modem directly to microcontroller through db-9 (rs-232)protocol via max-232 ic.

Hi arbabar
Thanks for your prompt reply

first of all i would like to mention that i have a gsm module and not the gsm modem.

Secondly as you have mentioned that i need maicrocontroller usart (Tx,Rx pins);
But i am already getting the data at the TX pin from my serial device then what is the specific use of the microcontroller (or max 232 ic).
Cant i connect the TX to RX of gsm module directly..?

Status
Not open for further replies.