Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Communication using Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psurya1994

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can my laptop and Android Nexus tablet, communicate serially? Is there any application which can do so? Can I run the processing software by receiving data serially from Android?

I dont know what data you want to send. A terminal emulation at the tablet and a bluetooth to serial adapter at the PC works for sending keystrokes between them.
There are USB to serial adapters which can be plugged to the USB port of the tablet. But a driver is required.
If a terminal emulator is not what you need, you will probably have to develop you own program using android API.

Are both Nexus tablet and the laptop Bluetooth enable?

If so a peer to peer Bluetooth connection would most likely be the most straight forward option.

Or if the laptop is not, you could always use a Bluetooth USB dongle.

**broken link removed**
Bluetooth is a short-range wireless communications technology used to communicate between devices over a distance of about 8 meters. The most common Bluetooth devices are headsets for making calls or listening to music, hands-free kits for cars, and other portable devices, including laptops.

Once the Bluetooth connection is established you can transmit/process data on either device.

BigDog

Thank You!
My laptop doesn't have Bluetooth. I want wired serial communication with android. Yes, I want to send keystrokes, receive them in processing to perform corresponding actions.
I want to get this done, which my android device is connected through the USB port of my laptop. Can I download any application from the app store which can do this?

- - - Updated - - -

@BigDog
My laptop dosen't have bluetooth. Can I use WiFi for transfering data?
Thanks.

If you Bluetooth enable your laptop with a Bluetooth dongle it essentially establishes a Virtual COM Port.

The advantage with this approach is any legacy application which can utilize a serial COMx port can transmit and receive data from your Nexus Tablet.

In other words the connection will appear on your PC as a COM3, COM4, etc.

For example you can process data collected from the Nexus Tablet on the laptop using software apps like MATLAB.

Another advantage is no cables and the two device can be a reasonable distance apart.

BigDog

- - - Updated - - -

My laptop dosen't have bluetooth. Can I use WiFi for transfering data?

Yes, if both the devices are WiFi enabled, you can certainly establish an adhoc network.

Although, it may not be as straight forward as a peer to peer Bluetooth connection.

Do you have any experience with TCP/IP socket programming?

Worst case you should be able to transfer a file containing data to either device and then process it.

Perhaps if you explain in greater detail your design requirements, the type of data, the PC application, etc, I maybe able to suggest the best course.

BigDog

I dont know much about TCP/IP programming.
The project I am working on is: 'Establishing serial communication between Android and Arduino'. So i though it would be good to start by connecting Android and Laptop via the com port.

If the ultimate goal is establishing a serial connection between the Nexus tablet and the Arduino, I would recommend Bluetooth as the simplest option.

For you laptop you can purchase a Bluetooth USB dongle for as little as $1.50 USD, although I think I would probably opt for a model in $5 to $10 range.

USB Bluetooth Wireless Adapter Dongle for Laptop Desktop PC Color Black

And for the Arduino, Bluetooth modules are readily available and quite reasonably priced, they typically offer a simple TX/RX TTL serial port interface which can connect direct to the Arduino's UART.

The lower priced units essential establish a virtual serial cable connection between devices, requiring only the basic UART programming, the same as if you were connecting the Arduino directly to a PC's RS-232 serial port.
**broken link removed**

BigDog

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.