Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Communication - 10KM range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobakava

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to form a serial communication between two points and looking for a solution. First I thougt convert my uart Rs232 to RS485 but this is limited with 1.2KM without repeaters. I can not use repeaters because the wires will be buried into ground with a pipe with 2.5m radius.

I also thought about wireless connection but the nodes are not in line of sight.

Any recommendations? Is there a transceiver which is capable of transmitting 9600bit/s serial data over regular / twisted pair wires?

This connection is very cost sensitive so I do not want to use expensive and special devices etc.

Thanks

For that distance (10km) you have to consider optical fibre (Single-Mode) ..
Not only it provides noiseless, reliable data link but it is also cost effective ..
And 9600 baud is not a problem ..

eg.
https://www.ucs.co.uk/index.php?pid=943

Rgds,
IanP

Edit after I got price quotation for wires and wire mounting service costs :) :

I want to do this with wireless communication. The points are not in line of sight, there is a small peak between nodes. How can I form reliable wireless serial communication between those two points? 9600bps is fairly enough...

Learn about WiMax.

It is similar to WiFi, but in theory allows 48km links at 70Mbps, and doesn't need direct sight.

I don't know about cost, and you'll need some intelligent devices.

You will need two serial to ethernet converters, an two WiMAX access points to establish the link.

Why not GSM/GPRS/SMS ...?

Also Normall telephone line with 56K Fax modem is another option if you dont want to go for wirless...

Dani

You can try with serial to Ethernet embedded device (like the TIBBO EM200) and use external repeater, but I've no idea about the overall cost.

Bye
Pow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back