Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sequantial 220V timer for 6 outlets (cold smoke generator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hihhih

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello members! I am trying my luck with this problem:

I have 6 pcs of 220V/300W small 70x120mm heater plates. Straight from China and each working nice.

I am trying to build a cold smoke generator. One heater with a wood disk on top creates smoke up to 2 hours. Not much time to sleep if you intend to use it 24-48 hours per one batch of fish or meat.

Crude version would be 6 mechanical timers, each attched to a heater plate. Lots of cables and not so neat.

I would like to have a timer contoller, mains coming in and 6 outlets which each gets power 2 hours and rotating to next outlet.

If there are ready close-enough solutions, links much appreciated. List of specs for timer chips/relays most probably go way over my engineering skills, however could be useful if I find someone for the soldering part.

Suggestions?

Harri
Chiang Mai, Thailand

heaterplate.jpg

Hi,

There are PLC controls.
Easy to program.

I don't have much experience how many systems meet your requirements ... but it sounds a SIEMENS LOGO could help you.

Klaus

A single 4017 IC (decade counter) can turn on your heaters, one at a time, in sequence.

The IC has ten output pins, although you would only need 6 pins, each controlling a relay.

Apply a pulse to the input pin every 2 hours. Each relay will turn on for 2 hours, then turn off as the next one turns on.

That is the simple part. You'll need support circuitry. You'll need to create a pulse every two hours. It will require more than a 555 timer IC. The 555 is excellent to generate a time period of a few minutes. However a two hour timing cycle is unwieldy and not reliable for a 555.

Additionally the relays probably cannot be energized directly by the 4017. I believe it's necessary to add a transistor to do that. You'll need 6 transistors and 6 relays.

You could try to use a 74HC5555, it is a 555 with a internal divider for long time periods. If you set it to 17 bit (131,072) and use a 1 KHz oscillator you would get 2.184 hours, 1.1 KHz would be 1.96 hours.

You would use the Q output to drive Bradtherad's decade counter and use the 74HC5555 non-retriggerable mode. Meaning that the 2 hour period could not be extended every time you hit the go button.

The problem i see is that you really need a astable multivibrator not a monostable. After the first 2 hour timeout the monostable will sit there waiting for another input to tell it to start another 2 hour timing session and advance the 4017 counter.

That's the problem with these "simple" circuits. They snowball quickly in complexity. The quick dirty fix is feed the monostable with a regular 555 astable circuit running say every 30 seconds. So the monostable running in non-retriggerable mode will ignore the multiple input pulses until it is done timing and then it will retrigger for another 2 hours.

Of coarse there are other practical matters like the power switching with the relays that must be addressed and a power supply and a box etc.

This is a small project in itself and some electronic design knowledge is necessary.

The best answer may just be get a low cost programmable logic controller as mentioned if you can find one with at least 3A output relays. 300W/220 vac = 1.36A, and for a long life time use 3A or higher rating.

Attachments

• 74HC_HCT5555_CNV.pdf
    108.1 KB · Views: 62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back