Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SEPIC with coupled inductors vs uncoupled inductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am confused about the comparative performance of SEPICs with coupled inductors, compared with SEPICs with uncoupled inductors....

..can any reader shed any light here......

if a SEPIC converter uses coupled 1:1 inductors, then it behaves the same as does a SEPIC with uncoupled inductors of twice the value.

For example, consider a SEPIC with 1:1 coupled inductors (each winding measuring 250uH with the other one open)............

....then this gives the same inductor ripple current as does a SEPIC with two uncoupled inductors of value 500uH.

If you wish , you can confirm this with this LTSPice simulation:-

(-just change the inductor values and the coupling from 1 to 0, eg "K L1 L2 0" or "K L1 L2 1")
2shared - download 5V SEPIC__FORUM.asc

My question is......why is the factor of *two* involved here?

...i would have thought that the coupled inductors would appear to have *four* times the inductance of the case of uncoupled inductors.

....after all, the coupled 1:1 inductor effectively has twice the number of windings , and so that means *four* times the inductance....

So why is it that 1:1 coupled inductor SEPICs don't behave like uncoupled SEPICs with *four* times the winding inductance?

Status
Not open for further replies.