Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensing current upto 5A from a 45VAC source using SenseFEt

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachinkp21587

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
i need to build a circuit to sense the AC current flowing to a load. The source can supply 5A at 45V ac.
I need some simple and not bulky kind of solution.

I think what i am in search of is SenseFET usage with virtual earth current sensing.
Following are my questions.

1. Is there any other apt solution for me?
2. Should i use any SenseFET? If not then what parameters should be considered?
3. Should i use SenseFET with CAT2300 or not? why not. i an unable to understand the line "CAT2300 is the single chip alternative to discrete circuits for monitoring and controlling 0.9 V - 1.5 V power busses". Does it mean i cannot use it for my 45VAC?
OR
4. Should i go for Virtual earth current sensing for SenseFET or is there any other alternative where i need not any -ve supply?

Hi,

I assume that the AC is mains frequency current? If yes, there are many possibilities. One is a current transformer, which gives total isolation of the measuring circuit from the monitored current. It is easy to implement. I have seen, that there are even cheap small current transformers available in eBay (for example: **broken link removed**). That way your 0 to 5 A current is converted for example, with the module in eBay, to 0 to 2.5 mA current. If you place a resistor of 100 ohms on the secondary side, the AC current would be converted further to an AC voltage of 0 to 0.25V (RMS). Smaller resistor would give proportionally smaller voltage, and higher resistor a higher voltage.

You may read a bit more about current transformers from for example: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transformer/current-transformer.html

Of course, a totally semiconductor-based circuitry is also possible, but you would like a simple solution, and it would be also easily more costly. The question is if the size of such miniature transformer is considered "bulky" - but likely it will not be enormously larger than a more complex circuitry. At least a transformer is a pretty accurate and easy way of measuring AC currents with isolation between measured circuit and the measuring circuit.

-ted

I had success with the following method, when I wanted to monitor my refrigerator's turning on and off.

It uses inductive coupling. I got sufficient power to light up a red led dimly.

1) Start with an inductor (either a choke, or one side of a transformer). It is probably most effective if it is designed to operate at mains frequency.

2) Isolate a few inches of a SINGLE mains wire, which carries load current.

3) Wind the single mains wire around the inductor, a few turns.

4) Attach your voltmeter to the wire ends of the inductor.

That BradtheRad's construction is essentially a home-made current transformer. There is no magic in making them self, indeed. Still the physics apply: Assuming, that the transformer is made "right enough" to have good magnetic coupling, the current is transformed by ratio of the windings. To use such transformer as a current transformer, one has to load it heavily, by having a relatively low resistance load on it. "Relative" means, that depending on current to be measured and the transformer windings ratio (secondary/primary), the resistance should be heavy load/virtual short-circuit for the transformer. Then the voltage over that resistor presents the current, being U=(n1/n2)*I*R where n1 is the primary number of windings, and n2 the secondary number of windings. In a pass-through-the-wire -type current transformer n1=1, and n2 is whatever is wound around the core for secondary (the core is often a toroid for good magnetic coupling).

Status
Not open for further replies.