Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

senior project idea feasible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flinxsl

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
senior project idea

Next fall I will be starting my senior project as EE major electronics specialization. My idea is basically to make a cell phone jammer, which will be basically a broadband noise generator of some kind, probably a voltage controlled oscillator, connected to an amplifier and an antenna. I have talked to some of the faculty at my university and they say that it would be a more aggressive senior project that would move me toward communications, which is where I want to be.

my main questions are:
-how bogged down with microwave theory will i be when i layout my PCB?
-how easily can the design be expanded to block other frequencies such as wifi?
-will the FCC let me do this if i get them involved with the testing, i.e. under controlled circumstances?

feasible senior project

Since cell phone jammer are already available, they might expect more from your project. But this project will be a test for your patience, knowledge, time, and finally the outcome. Not a easy project. Will drain the sweat and blood. Give it a try. succeeded in making this after struggling for around a year. Without prior sound knowledge of the microwave and RF communication,it is too dangerous to do and more over if you have any time criteria I will not suggest you to do this, Ya if you have time and want to explore new things and break your head about the technology, I can give you a helping hand.

Still you are unware of difficulties in this path.
Take it as a challenge only after thinking twice.

I agree that this is no trivial project but it migh be possible since the main RF components that you require are now available as ICs (albeit very small SMT packages).

Your main problems are (as you pointed out) the microwave theory although you should be able to get by with only a very limited knowledge (typically undergrad single semester course)

RF regulations. Since phones are expected to be very stable and immune against noise during operation and comply with certain regulations building a jammer (legally) might be an issue in more ways than one.

There will obviously be a regulation violation since you are not allowed to communicate in the cellular band and furthermore to effectively jam the device your jammer should put out more or at the very least the same power that the base station puts out.

The device might also be used as a type of weapon and during testing or demonstation of the device you might deny people access to critical sevices (medical emergencies) or destroy the device you are trying to jam.

As was said this project might be a little too ambitious for a senior project at undergrad level.

Cheers
Slayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back