Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sending Large Files Over the Internet (>100MB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet1

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
over 100mb large email

Hello,

I am not sure where to put this question/topic but, how can I send a large file over the internet ?

The file is over 100MB large and I have no idea how to send it over the net ?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, this is a country to country transfer...

Thanks

Use the application which was invented for that: FTP
And use some nice ftp client which can resume file downloads...
or split file in smaller chunks with WinRAR for example...

What systems are on both ends? Both have public IP address or some RFC1918 space? Any firewall/proxy in the path?

Problem is: I can't set up an FTP Server, and I really don't know how.

I have no idea what RFC1918 means either... no firewall/proxy unless our respective ISP (Internet Service Provider has one).

I was thinking of using some email service to do it -- person on other end does not know how to use RAR so it has to be sent all at once and it's over 100MB!

If you have any other tips let me know !

Hi there,

If you are planning to send the big files by emails, you have to split
them into small pieces before you can send them.

There are many freewares in the internet telling you how to split
and recombine files. You may go get one by a google seach.

i tried yousendit.com and it seems to work well.

i sent a 100MB file too.

so we will see how it works later on when someone else sends it to me.

rprince006 said:
If you are planning to send the big files by email, you have to split
them into small pieces before you can send them.
Sending files as e-mail attachment will increase the size of transmitted data with approx. 30% compared with original file. This is due to encoding style used for e-mail attachments. A good choice would be also desktop remote applications, like PC Anywhere, RAdmin, etc.

/pisoiu

Puppet1 said:
i tried yousendit.com and it seems to work well.

i sent a 100MB file too.

so we will see how it works later on when someone else sends it to me.

It works for afile up to 1GB, but i am doubt about the security. If I were you, I won't send anything that contain some proprietary information.

you can use file sharing

so you place your 100 mb in your shared folder in Dc++, or edonkey

than you open the client on another computer and search for file name

if you are worried about security zip the file and put on a password. its not quite ssh but for most things good enough

I think the easiest and best soloution for your purpose will be to use WWW File Share Pro
http://www.wfshome.com
This is a very cool program and easy to use; and it's very small only 1 MB.

WWW File Share Pro is a small HTTP server that can help you share files with your friends. They can download files from your computer or upload files from theirs. Simply specify a directory for downloads and a directory for uploads. Your friends can download/upload files via browser (IE/Netscape/Opera/etc.) They will not be required to install this software or any other software because an internet browser is enough. WWW File Share Pro supports password protection. If you enable password protection, only authorized user can access your service.

This software is absolutely clean. No backdoor, no spyware, no banners, no pop-up, virus, etc.

Requirements:
1. Windows 95/98/ME or Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP.
2. About 1 Meg of disk space.

You could also use FolderShare instead:
**broken link removed**
But this software has to be installed on both computers to work.

Note that your internet provider mostly will not allow you to set up a http server, unless you pay more.

You might want to add some sort of a CRC check or MD5 hash to the file so that the person on the other end can verify that they have the complete file and it hasnt changed from the copy you intended them to have.

But if the person on the other end can't use a program like winRAR this is probably overkill.

this may be a radical idea but what the h$ll ,,
burn it onto cd, then post it using your local post office..
no hastle with crc 's ,ftp's and the like..
simple cheap effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back